1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just filed taxes today. :D

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 13, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a d_b.

I decided to take advantage of the one good thing about being paid journalists' wages. I filed my federal taxes for free online. Saves the frantic trip to the post office on deadline night. ;D

2. forever_town

C'mon Buck. We're journalists. We don't do anything without deadline pressure, right? Right?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did mine back in early March, I believe. I think I've already spend my money, too. Stupid rent.

4. forever_town

Including your stimulus check?

Thanks to those fuckers at my other job last year, I owed state tax. Or at least more than I would have had they taken state out taxes. But at least I get a decent chunk of change from the feds.

5. forever_town

True. I trust Georgie as much as I can throw him.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hope that's the real deal. Someone needs to pay for a flight this fall, and it sure as heck isn't going to be all on me.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree with Buck. My wife did our taxes as soon as we got our forms, whenever that was, and had our refund a week later. I'm guessing that was sometime in early February.

I also had to pay the state for the first time in my working life. Fucking Alabama.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Doc and I did ours in early Feb., too.

We had one state where we thought we were going to break even and so we agreed to do that state by hand (there were some intricacies to it, so I had to fill out a new federal for it, too), so I just did that one today. When we did it, it ended up getting us about 120 more in refund. That will be a nice addition to the refund we've already gotten and spent.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Remember, folks, that nice refund is money you've been lending to the government for the past 12 months. It is your money, that has been withheld from your pay, being returned to you without interest.

Did mine on-line Friday... the feds will take $80 out of my bank on Monday and the State will take $65. My aim is always to keep it within $100 either way.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never done my taxes by hand. I don't think I'd have the patience.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Mikey, without the computer, it took me an hour and 30 minutes. That was just Doc's, though.

With the computer programs, a stock portfolio and a mutual fund, it takes me about that for mine alone.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I had three W-2s from two states and a mutual fund form, and it took me between an hour and 90 minutes to file mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted