1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just dumped Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, May 8, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What the hell happened to the quality of this browser with the "upgrade" to 2.0? Firefox used to be the best, most reliable browser by a long shot, but since I went to the 2.0 version it freezes up at least a couple of times a day.

After splitting time between browsers, I switched back to Safari full-time today. I'm fed up with Firefox, and surely I'm not the only one who has had problems with it (Mac user here.) I hope Safari treats me better. God forbid I have to go to IE.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Firefox has been crashing on me at least three times per week. And the amount of plugins needed to do even menial tasks, i.e. play audio on a Web page, is starting to grate. Just build it into the damn program.

The Foxmarks program does dissuade me from jumping ship, though.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've had few problems with Firefox and still love it.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I certainly prefer Firefox to Safari. I rarely if ever find anything I can't tackle in terms of audio/video files, etc.

I am running a very robust G5 machine, which may make a difference.

On my laptop, I've stuck with Safari. It seems to crash quite a bit.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have Firefox and I've never had to download a plug-in. And it never crashes.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Mine crashes at least three times a week, something Safari never did.

The only reason I switched to Firefox was for the Gmail chat, and that's not something I use often enough to make it worthwhile.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Ditto. It crashes occasionally, but not three times a week or anything like that.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Use it all the time and it never crashes. Haven't had a problem at all.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't have a mac and mine doesn't crash very often, but when it does, at least when I sign back on it will restore the session I was on when it crashed, which is nice.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My Safari crashes so much that I switched to Foxfire. Safari is still my default, and it takes forever to load pages. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I've given up on the thing. I can't believe that I can't upgrade to the newer Safari version, but Apple didn't provide that option for anyone with Panther. So I'll have to upgrade to Tabby Cat in the fall in order to get a Safari that works worth a damn.

11. My Firefox crashed for the first time in months right before I clicked on this thread. Seriously!

I can never get the plug-ins to work, so I've pretty much been barred from watching any sort of video off CNN or MSNBC for months. Interestingly, I can watch anything on YouTube just fine. I can't figure it out.

Here's another problem I've been having that I'd love a little advice on. In order to circumvent the aforementioned problem, I'd open IE and watch CNN videos there. But lately, whenever I even try to open IE, it takes about 20 minutes to tell me that it can't load the page and then IE shuts down.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I can't watch CNN video, nor YouTube video. They both start and then stall after about four seconds.

However, that blasted ESPN.com video has no problems. I forget that it's there, and it startles the shit out of me and annoys others sitting near me in the press box. Just for that reason, I tend to keep my sound turned off.

Draft saved Draft deleted