1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I meant bad PR for the groups who haven't come up with a comment yet.

Unless you'd like to provide a link between the two groups and the attempted bomber.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's the scary part:

These people are no longer the lunatic fringe.

They are aligned with the national pro-life movement and the national abstinence only movement.

They are being funded by our tax dollars.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Believing "thou shalt not kill" makes you a religious whacko? Because that's in the Bible, the Koran and the Torah, and sentiments along those lines are part of pretty much every mainstream religion you can think of.

And I became opposed to abortion when I wasn't a Christian at all. Nine year gap betwixt the two, in fact.

This isn't a religious issue. Yes, some out of whack people who call themselves Christian do also oppose abortion, but it's very possible to be opposed to abortion on a strictly scientific basis.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You have a link between the aborted (tee hee) bombing attempt from yesterday and any established pro-life organization?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What constitutes being "anti-" anything?

anti-Jewish -- what does that mean?

Does being opposed to federally mandated affirmative action quota's make one -anti-black? as some would have us believe.

Again, the lefties have really cornered the market in framing almost issue as 'If you oppose it you are "anti" which sounds far worse than it actually is.

I could argue that those who are in favor of abortion are anti-choice because the child and the father both have no choice.

And again, according to leftists if you are opposed to abortion, it isn't because of your morals or your beliefs, it is because you are anti-choice and therefore anti-women which is hogwash.

It is no more or less asinine than the assertion that if you were not in support of the war in Iraq or ctriticize the president during war than you are anti-American.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Has any group claimed responsibility?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No. Aren't most bombings or attacks the product of some lone nut like Eric Rudolph?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, if no group has claimed responsibility, then I think it's more than a little disingenuous to ask me to provide a link between the unnamed attempted murder(s) and other groups?

How many provided Rudolph the things he needed to evade capture and continue terrorizing Americans?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Actually, all of that is asinine. If you are against something the prefix "anti" works just nicely.

If you are against abortion you aren't automatically for life. There are plenty of anti-abortionists that are fully in favor of the death penalty. As such, that person cannot be "pro-life."

Also, anti-choice doesn't always mean anti-women. That is your logical leap. Someone can be pro-women's rights but against this one right, anti-choice.

Junkie used anti-abortion. He is correct in this term. I use anti-choice because those that claim to be "pro-life" aren't just against abortions, they are against any one else even having the option to have one.

The term is strict and to the point.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

SIDE NOTE: Would this constitute a terrorist act occurring on American soil?

I vote Yes.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's a minority (and I see your greater point about the religious factor) I'm in then too. I believe life begins at conception, it's a personal belief grounded in common sense biology that has nothing to do with religion.

I think abortion is morally wrong on those grounds. Period. It is wrong to kill a living human being.

But just because I have that belief doesn't mean I'm going to go out and kill anyone over it. The contradiction of that insanity has already been pointed out earlier in the thread.

I think there's a wing of the pro-choice movement that believes if you are anti-abortion (and I won't run away from that terminology, that is what I am) you are somehow not enlightened or blinded by religion. A tad sanctimonius to say the least.

And, no, this thread will not end well.

Draft saved Draft deleted