1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My mother was as pro life as they come. She also worked at an abortion clinic. She was a registered nurse.
    "Not my body, not my choice," she'd say. She'd counsel the patients and then try to answer questions. If they chose to go on with the procedure, she'd stay with them. She wanted to make sure it was done properly and not one of those "coat hanger abortions" as she used to call them.

One day when she was not there, her clinic got shot up.

Some sick fuckers in this world.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's "if you oppose the president, you hate America" stupid right there. I managed a few years in the pro-life movement without killing anyone, and I know a lot of people who have too.

But hey, I guess "tolerance" goes as far as your agreement with it. Which really doesn't make you different from those you mock.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

ZING!

Score one for MM.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Lunatics are lunatics no matter if they are right-wing nuts or left-wing nuts.

To lump an entire movement together with the actions of the insane few is ridiculous.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The other thing is smallpotatoes and ADifferentOkie are right to a degree -- a lot of us would see an abortion clinic as a killing field. But we understood that saving the lives of the unborn and bombing or shooting up clinics are counter-productive. To effect actual change, we needed to work within the confines of the laws, and since bombing clinics was both wrong and illegal, we avoided the temptation and didn't do it.

And yes, there were some (Operation Rescue comes to mind) that tried to be more in-your-face about it, and when they trespassed, they got arrested. Which happens with the fringe of a lot of your causes. And yes, there's the occasional nut that does something like this. But using them to judge the entire anti-abortion movement is akin to condeming liberalism for the actions of the Weathermen.

6. zagoshe

I didn't have a problem with the sit-ins and whatnot, that is something the left used to get their point accross and it is what it is.

It is the violence that crosses the line.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Similar to the typical rant about "Where are those tolerant Muslims preaching against the suicide bombings"...

I understand that you didn't kill anyone. But there are plenty of those with murderous inclinations in the organization.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But that's just my point. If one of the hardline conservatives here were to post

... you don't think there'd be a hue and cry? And Fen (and you) wouldn't be in the first wave?

And I'm not sure where you get "plenty" from re: pro-lifers with murderous inclinations. I don't think Mason-Dixon's done a poll that asks pro-lifers "aren't you so angry at abortion doctors that you want to stab them in the face?". From antedoctal experience, I'd be absolutely floored if the percentage of people in the movement with "murderous inclinations" was more than %.05, even factoring in the ultra-fringe.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It has been done. It has been done over and over and over again. And everytime some bomb goes off in Iraq, the cry comes "When are the Muslims going to speak out." Well, I don't see a lot of speaking out from pro-lifers when it comes to these bombings.

I think the paucity of outspoken critics to such actions speaks for itself.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, Pastor. You're seeing it RIGHT NOW on this board from the pro-lifers!

I'm pro-life and don't condone abortion at all unless the life of the mother or child is in danger (I guess that means my liberalism -- which is virulent in every other way -- will be questioned), but these bombings are absolutely reprehensible and the people who do them should be cast directly into the sodomite wing of a pound-me-in-the-ass prison. They're a fucking embarassment to people like me, who have a level-headed moral problem with abortion.

So I'm not down with painting everyone who is pro-life (or anti-abortion, I might as well stop couching my language) by its lunatic fringe.

MM's example is dead on. I'd be the first to jump on someone for slamming Muslims that way.

11. zagoshe

Again, there is a lunatic fringe on both sides that unfortunately bring down the sensible people on both sides.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

For one thing, bombing or attempted bombings have been relatively rare in recent years; in fact, this is the first I've heard of one happening in some time. I do remember someone shooting up an abortion clinic in my hometown when I was a teenager, and the local National Right to Life chapter spoke out against it.

Meanwhile, though this is 10 years old, it didn't take much time on the Google to come up with this press release from National Right to Life about the abortion clinic bombing in Atlanta:

See above, and I can probably hit The Google for more examples.

So it's inappropriate for people to condemn moderate Muslims for not coming out against its radical element1, but perfectly acceptable to cast the whole of pro-life advocates as "murderous bastards"? Some consistency would be nice.

1 -- I don't hold the whole of Islam responsible for 9/11, the USS Cole or any other radical atrocity. But that's the most obvious parallel in a discussion on this board about letting bad apples spoil the bushel.

Draft saved Draft deleted