1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042706dntexaustinbomb.f37f786.html

I know people don't agree with abortion, but I've never made the connection between thinking someone is wrong and blowing them up.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can save a life that hasn't been born by taking the life of someone who has... that logic has always escaped me too.

3. Pro-life.
    Murderous bastards since 1981.

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Firmly entrenched on the pro-life side, that logic escapes me as well.

I'm glad they discovered the package before it hurt anyone.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We have a local couple that drives around town with a van covered in photos of aborted fetuses (is that word correct?).

Any time someone writes a letter to the editor complaining about them, the letter writer gets a package a couple of days later with similar photos.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

These people are nuts. They've shot doctors, etc. Total freaks

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We have a couple that does that outside Planned Parenthood (doubles as an abortion clinic here, in addition to dispensing birth control and providing prenatal services). I bite my tongue to keep from saying, "You know most of us who come here are trying to avoid abortions." sigh.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

These people are the ultimate in logic leaping.

How do you go from "Every life is precious" to "Kill those bastards" while working for the same cause?

You would think that as they put the bomb in place one of them would say, "hey, wait a minute ..."

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

First, before I present what is probably the point of view of the people who do this sort of thing, let me make myself perfectly clear: I do not agree with these people or support what they do. They feel abortion is wrong and should be outlawed. That's their right. If that's the way they feel, they need to work within the system to change the law.
    These people make a distinction between innocent life and the lives of people who are not innocent. They feel that they are defending innocent life by killing those who would kill the unborn.

10. Well, I'm pro-choice, so don't jump on my case.
    However, if you really believe that life begins at conception, then an abortion clinic has to be about on par with a concentration camp, right?
    If you were off kilter, I can see how that might lead someone to go, "OK, I have to kill someone to do it, but I'm going to stop this holocaust."
    Really, as a saner example, how many Nazis would you kill to stop the Holocaust? How many terrorists would you kill to prevent another 9/11?
    Again, I don't agree with the logic, but I see where it comes from.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

This will not end well

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I have no problem with the pro-choice stance. I have problem with people who twist that concept and turn it into justification for bombings. For the purposes of this post, that second group will be referred to as "the extremists."

I know I'm trying to apply logic to people who aren't thinking logically, but I would understand that if the extremists were (god forbid) targeting the doctors/providers individually. But when they bomb clinics, they're potentially taking the lives of people who have nothing to do with the process and women with the very unborn babies they're trying to save. How do the extremists justify the killed/maimed who aren't abortion providers?

Also, the 41 times in 30 years statistic astounds me. People talk about targeting terrorist groups, yet there's a bombing every seven months or so by various extremists within the U.S. who typically aren't labeled terrorists. Shouldn't they be?

Draft saved Draft deleted