1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just don't get this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

The NYT ran a story about a homecoming queen/HS football kicker and it's one of the most emailed stories in today's paper.

My immediate thought when I saw the story was: same old, same old. It seems like I read about one of those girls just about every other year.

Can someone explain why this is so popular? Am I the only person who thinks it's old news?

Thanks

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But she's a girl!!!! And she's on the football team? And she's the homecoming queen!!!!!!

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

New Yorkers are fascinated by things such as "high school football" and "homecoming" and "grass fields."

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You've read about girls playing football a lot. But not very often do they win homecoming queen AND then kick the game-winning field goal to beat a highly-ranked opponent. Plus, you have the pretty white girl factor.

Here's the original story, which was much better than the rehashed NY Times one:

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20111002/NEWS01/110020334/After-winning-homecoming-title-kicker-wins-game-photo-gallery-

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Damn. The high school team I cover has a girl kicker. Unfortunately, she's 5-for-12 this season, and four of those misses have been NASTY blocks (she's only 5-2 and probably 110 after a Thanksgiving meal soaking wet).

6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not seeing the big deal here ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A school I covered a few years ago had a girl kicker ... who was named basketball homecoming queen.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

SI had a female football player in their "Faces In Crowd" in this weeks issue.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/faces/2011/10/03/index.html

She is a 5'8" 145 DB that had 2 picks in last game. She sounds like a player.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Ringer, have you read more than one story about the kid who letters in multiple sports? Or the kid who plays football and takes AP classes? Or the plucky underdog team who ruins their rival's Thanksgiving by ending their undefeated run?

And on top of all that, you have to read one story every other year about the homecoming queen/placekicker? Oh, the humanity.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tressa Thomspon played tight end and safety in high school before winning three NCAA shot put titles at Nebraska. They listed her at 5-10, 215 in college but she was probably bigger than that.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Heaven forbid we learn from this.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a more interesting story if the homecoming queen's got a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted