1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just committed murder ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, May 24, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And strangely, the e-mail addy begins with Kristy

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Fenian!

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, OK, we get the picture!

Seriously, I was right there with you, Write-brained. Laughing out loud, of course, but still, I was right there. That was some great visual writing. Way to go.

P.S.: I'm glad you're safe. :D

4. I'm just glad the wife wasn't here. She screams when she sees 'em, and then the kid would have woke up in a panic thinking the house was on fire.

How the hell does something so big sneak in anyway?

And thank you, my fellow Mr. Write. Glad you're safe, too.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I. Hate. Tree Roaches. At least, that's what we called those things when I lived in Dallas. Nastiest creatures on the planet, and impossible to catch or kill.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate bugs. All of them. I'm an 8-year-old girl when a cockroach or anything bigger than an ant or fly comes around my neck of the woods. It's got to be quite the show.

I had a small roach in my bathroom a few months ago; in the same apartment, I had ants and two mice, and I left no food out at all. I'm in the bathroom when I see this black bug crawling on the bathroom floor. Quickly, I bailed and, once I was safe, I peaked my head into the bathroom to see where the bug was crawling. Then I got a great idea: Get the Raid ant and roach spray.

To the kitchen I went, and when I returned, I sprayed the wall blindly, hitting the tub, the floor, the scale, the carpet and, finally, the bug. It was really a cool sight, though, actually seeing the roach curl and flip onto his -- I named him Hank -- back. I looked at the label, and I looked at the roach. Identical. Then it was time to remove the dead dude.

Do I pick him up? Of course not. I went and got an empty box of Tuna Helper and tried to scoop the guy into it. That didn't work, of course, so I dug out my vacuum and sucked the sucker up and carefully emptied the cannister into the garbage can. There was no way I was touching that little guy with my hands -- dead or alive.

When I was in college, maybe a freshman, my ex-girlfriend and I were laying in bed when she saw a huge bug -- I think a roach -- crawling next to her sandal across the room. I got out of the bed and, now thinking on my feet, said, "Let me get Chris (my brother). He loves bugs." Excellent, I thought, now she won't know I a little grossed out by the bug.

Chris, 12 or 13 then, came down and started playing with the thing until I decreed insecticide. Chris left the room, victoriously, and I was left with my girlfriend, with my tail between my legs, inching closely to her sandal ... step by small step. I wasn't going to chance running into another bug. So much for quick thinking.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You guys ever see a potato bug?
    I don't have much problem with nature or bugs, but these little fuckers are creepy. Really creepy. Their heads are almost humanlike.

[​IMG]

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I thought potato bugs were much different than that.

9. fishwrapper

Mike, how about one of those crawlin' up your shirt?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd urinate on anything and everything.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is actually bothering me. I did an image search -- not that I didn't believe you, FW -- and none of those pictures look like what I've always called potato bugs. Maybe someone can help me out. These bugs kind of resembled small cockroaches, except with a softer -- at least it looked softer -- back, black and scaled, with what appeared to be ruffles.

12. fishwrapper

Yeah. They look up at you when you're about to bring the Size 11s, and it's hard. It's almost a pouty face.

Draft saved Draft deleted