1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I intend to attend one of the Bell protests tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PHINJ, May 6, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I think that's the way you want it to sound. I'm sorry, I'm not stupid enough to blanket all whites. If I did, I'd simply say all whites. Who am I afraid of on this messageboard that would stop me from saying that if I felt that way?

My intelligence refuses to blanket anyone, and I never accused marv of embodying an entire group as one would imply using the term "you people" as if they're not speaking to the person in front of them but an entire group.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did you or did you not post the words "people like you?" If you did, what was your meaning behind the phrase, if not a blanket statement?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

And believe me, Chee, I'm not blanketing a whole group.
    Just one race-baiting, attention-craving moron.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Anyhow, back to the point of the post ... didja go to the protest??

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding paranoid, Everyman can be a "journalist" today with blogs, etc. I'd skip it.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Oh, I ended up not going. I talked to a woman I respect a lot and she said, "Oh, you can't go!" Her husband works at the Times and she said they're forbidden from going. Nothing would have happened to me but I decided it might not be appropriate.

We had a period where the copy desk was writing every Sean Bell headline off Sharpton, and I would change every one. I finally told the slots to avoid writing heads about Sharpton at all costs and had a couple stories recast so he wasn't the lede.

Now, Sharpton is a demagogue, but in my view, he has acted nobly on behalf of Nicole Paultre-Bell and the Bell family. That said, the story isn't about him, and furthermore, making it all about Sharpton automatically turns off 90 percent of the population.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We've done this dance many times on the Journalism Board. You made the right choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted