1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I intend to attend one of the Bell protests tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PHINJ, May 6, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Wrong, Al makes me dismiss the handling thereof and realize that the Bells are getting shafted by the attention whore climbing on the bandwagon.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Serious question ...

Sharpton is demanding a federal Civil Rights violation probe into the shooting, even though the officers were white, black and Hispanic.

So if he wins, does that mean every time anybody is killed by anybody, there should be a Civil Rights probe? Could a victim of the Crips sue on grounds they violated his Civil Rights? Or does it just apply because they are cops?

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

OH MY GOD!!!! IT'S PHINJ!!! PHINJ JUST WALKED OUT OF THE NEWSPAPER OFFICE AND THERE HE IS!!!!!! AT THE PROTEST!!!!!

4. markvid

markvid Guest

No, it only applies to Al because the victim is black. Would he even blink had the victim been white?
    He's as big a racist as the people he makes a living blackmailing with that label.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I understand the credibility issues, but this notion that the paper has veto power over what I do with my free time really bothers me. They don't pay me near enough to own me. Nonetheless, PHINJ, you'd better have a clear understanding of what your paper's policy is. If it prohibits this sort of thing, might want to invest in a disguise.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

If this is a matter of conscience with you, the need to bear witness, you should go. You're a human being first, a journalist second. This isn't some silly rally to elect a certain town council candidate, or something.
    If I were you, and felt as you've said you feel, I'd go.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

So, your level of ethics is directly related to your level of pay?

8. He's not saying that at all.
    Come on, mark.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, doubt that's what he meant. But for us (including myself as a former journalist) to quash our own beliefs, activities and such for the greater good of a newspaper is ridiculous, especially considering how low-paying the business is in general. Need another reason why it's ridiculous? Just fill in the blank with your favorite newsroom rant.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I wanted to make sure, for some reason that's the way it read to me.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Let me guess. You've misconstrued me saying "people like you" into "all white people" as if I'm making a blanket generalization that his actions reflect an entire group?

I don't recall saying "you people" and clearly isolated marv to people who happen to share his mentality. Who those people are I don't know, but I don't recall saying it's a reflection of an entire group of people.

So please...stop it.

I'm no fool. Al Sharpton is self absorbed divisive figure who fails to see the role, although just at times, he plays puts the focus on him rather than the issue at hand.

And some people would rather focus their attention on him to mask their indifference to the issue at hand.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The only thing about your post I'll respond to is the fact that you did indeed say "people like you." Whether or not there's a lot of difference between "people like you" and "you people" is debatable, but it certainly sounded like you were point the finger at whites.

Draft saved Draft deleted