1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I intend to attend one of the Bell protests tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PHINJ, May 6, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

There are six planned demonstrations going on in New York tomorrow. I plan on attending as an interested New Yorker. I'm not a reporter or columnist; my name doesn't appear anywhere in the paper. I do not intend to get arrested.

Anyone think this causes a conflict of interest? Apparently my paper doesn't have a standing policy on stuff like this....

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Don't do it. If you are spotted by another media outlet...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure who you are, or what you do, but short of being Tom Brokaw, I doubt another media outlet is going to report on you being at a demonstration. Who wants to read that? Either way, though, I am not exactly sure what the conflict of interest would be. Do you report on anything remotely related to the Sean Bell case or Al Sharpton? If not, it's your free time. Get involved in whatever causes you care about. I understand your employer not wanting you to publicly donate to, or support, a political candidate. But where do you draw the line? Should you refrain from buying Pepsi when you grocery shop because people might see you and take it as a product endorsement? At a certain point you have to live your life and do the things that are important to you.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't mean you'll be reported on, but I would think credibility might come into question. Also, if you don't know your shop's policy, might be safe to be safe.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I think it's more of an issue if you live in Podunk, USA, and are a well-known journalist attending a Skinhead rally (not drawing any kind of comparison here; just reveling in some hyperbole) at the town square. But what are the chances that anyone in the city will recognize you, or, if they do, even care?
    If this is something you believe in, and -- like you said -- you aren't planning on getting arrested or doing anything crazy, then I say go and let your voice be heard.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of skinheads, I saw some at the beach last weekend.

How could I tell? They had "S K I N H E A D S" tattooed across their chest and everything. Dolts. ::)

Kinda disturbing, actually. Felt like I was in a scene in "American History X."

Anyway, carry on.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Nothing subtle about that.

Side note -- post No. 500 for me. Somehow, I thought this would be more fulfilling.

8. Hey Buck W - were they Illinois Nazis?

I hate Illinois Nazi.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

If you truly don't know, you're missing out on a classic movie.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do you hate America, hippie? [/hondo]

11. Do they have to beat themselves if they get too tan?

12. I've always loved you.

Draft saved Draft deleted