1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I" in game reports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripthejacker, Mar 12, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Answer A.

Answer B.

Next.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I WILL say this: "I" beats "this reporter", which I've seen in stories at two stops in my FT career. Ye GODS.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I've come across a writer or two who thinks this is a "gallant" way of introducing their opinion into stories. It is to laugh.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

For some reason, when I see "this reporter", I think April O'Neill on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I know it's a common anachronism in movies and TV shows, but what can I say, other than TURTLE POWER.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"I heart April O'Neil. I was thinking how I would show her that was so while waiting out the 30-minute rain delay that occurred during Barry Zito's attempt at a perfect game. April O'Neill...sigh."

6. I don't completely agree with this or maybe I do but it needs clarification. I know when I first started out, I tried a couple of times to incorporate some of Gary Smith's writing styles or ideas (not his prose) into my stories. Once it worked. Once it failed miserably. I actually think it's a good idea to emulate several writers, try their ideas and eventually your own voice will come out of that. That's why one of the best pieces of advice is to read good stories, in hopes of picking some of it up.

Wasn't it Hunter S. who would type his favorite authors' stories over and over in hopes of picking up their style and voice ... that's an idea of his you can copy if you must ...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Why you are ripping this poor kid? Why shouldn't he be allowed to use the letter 'i' in game stories? Even a capital 'I?'

I mean, if Irving Ignacius scored the winning touchdown, he'd look pretty stupid. Wouldn't he?

Case closed.

You people!

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Am I the only one curious to know which hunk-of-crap newspaper this is? Wouldn't you just love to revel in the horridity of it all? OK, I admit I also slow down to look at car wrecks, so ...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Ace is really Ross Perot.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

>>>this reporter<<<

please tell me this is a joke. someone cashing a paycheck (or unrolling the nickels) in 2007 is doing this?

11. You seriously think there is no better way to describe the game conditions than by devoting an entire graf to your socks?

You're a fucking moron.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Two people did it that I saw. One was a volunteer freelancer at a weekly. I caught it while proofing the news section and overhauled the entire thing. The other was an SE. I didn't have the power to fix that one though.

Draft saved Draft deleted