1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I HIT THE HAMILTON LOTTERY!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It really is an amazing show. Incredible, versatile cast. And a longing reminder of a time when people were nice and helpful to each other.

I recall the news story at time. But it obviously got lost in the crush of news from the 9/11 attacks.

I'm glad this story is being told in such a beautiful way.

HC likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was that good.

Moderator1, HC and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Right? I never thought ANYTHING could live up to that hype. But it surpassed.

Want to get hard to reach kids to fall in love with American history? Show them Hamilton.

Webster likes this.
  4. Webster

First of all, I've never seen a show where everyone was that excited. This was 2 years in with the second cast (and a couple of understudies on top of that) and it was like game 7 of the World Series 5 minutes to curtain.

The show is just so damn smart and fun. The wordplay, the recurring themes and even the different styles of music for each key role were wonderfully done. It's like an old time TV play, mixed with American history and a time 30 years ago when rap was so fresh and vital for me.

Obviously, the role of Hamilton was written for Lin-Manuel Miranda's particular style of rapping/dinging/delivery, but Jevon McFerrin did an excellent job. Mandy Gonzalez, the actress who played Angelica, was unreal and I think overshadowed the actress who played Eliza even more than she was supposed to. The Eliza/Hamilton relationship didn't really work for me, but I wonder if wasn't really supposed to.

I was waiting for Mrs. W after the show and everyone standing around was just so elated.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. My brother and his wife gushed about it so much. I'm thinking nothing can be THAT good. It was THAT good

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Question for those who have seen it -- did you go in cold? Or did you know the songs ahead of time? Or did you go back and read the source material? I have the biography and thinking I should read that, but I kind of want to be surprised by how it unfolds on stage.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cold. Only song I'd hear was the opening that was on some awards show right before I went

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Webster

I listened to the soundtrack a couple of times first. I thought it helped but it wasn't essential.

9. Deskgrunt50

Made it a point to go in cold. Which wasn't easy. Soundtrack is on continuous play on my iPhone since seeing it.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cats producers are kicking themselves. Of course, the general play is to keep it off the screen while you can still sell tickets to the show. Wicked is still selling out with $145 tickets on Broadway 17 years after opening and yet has no shot at being the longest running show because Phantom of the Opera opened 15 years before it and is still going.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted