1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I heart MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Eagles1 in London, Jun 11, 2007.

1. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I less-than-three MLB.

I guess I could probably watch any baseball games, most hockey games, some NFL games, and vitually no NBA games.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Try again fellas:

1977 NY Dept. of Tourism ad campaign

[​IMG]

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. But the campaign was "I love New York" (now I have the stupid theme song swimming around in my head), not "I heart New York."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

But people started saying "I heart ------" long before the Huckabees in 2004

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I only noticed the whippersnappers saying and using "heart" circa 2003-04.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

About the only sport where this applies for me is college football.

I'll watch some godawful Wednesday-night match-up if I've got the TV on that night. Within a week I wouldn't be able to tell you the names of any players I saw, but I'll have enjoyed watching the game.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would rather watch Bea Arthur make love to Abe Vigoda on a flaming bed of nails than watch a NBA game. And I have no desire to see Bea Arthur or Abe Vigoda.

8. the heart reference was from Huckabees. Not sure i ever heard anyone use it before that...

I know i'm a dork, but instead of flipping around too much (unless it's a slow night), i try to focus on two games (one early, one late). Tonight, i'm excited for Mil-Det and NYM-LA....

Other than baseball, i can probably watch any NFL or NCAA basketball game and be happy. Historically, i'm a big NBA fan, but not in recent years. NHL comes and goes for me. Last year, i was really into it (probably because they showed it in london), but this season i think i watch about 10 games all year (including the playoffs)

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shouldn't you have to change your username now that you no longer live in London?

Question about living abroad: Besides the internet, is there anyway to stay up to date on what is going on in American sports? Do they publish scores or standings in the newspapers? Do they broadcast games on TV or radio?
    Just curious.

10. i've been meaning to change my name back to Eagles1 or whatever it used to be but i keep forgetting...

Not sure how it is everywhere, but in london a couple of the channels (Chan 5 and North American Sports Net) showed all the major sports. Chan 5 would show MNF games at 2am, some live NBA and the ESPN Sun game of the week (at 1am). North American Sports net was a pay channel that showed mostly NCAA hoops, NHL and MLB (all live late ngiht and replayed the next day). The papers only covered major events like the super bowl (also shown live), or they would include a blurb about US sports in their world sports roundup...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So which English soccer team did you adopt?

12. arsenal.

i lived in fulham and honestly tried to get into them (even went to a match) but they are horrible and not at all fun to watch (except for McBride)...

Watching Arsenal was like watching the Phoenix suns--fast paced, exciting but not so good where they were a slam dunk to win anything (in fact, i was there over the course of two Premership seasons and they won zero trophies, though they came close in the carling cup this year). Even without Henry, i like watching their young players, I like their manager, their fans, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted