1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I heart Fox Soccer Channel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I probably watch CSPAN more than the Fox Soccer Channel. It's more exciting.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My brother has Fox Soccer and Gol TV. How he stays married is beyond me. I got Fox Soccer as a preview channel once and I watched it constantly.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shotty likes to flip between his soccer and his other favorite channels: Lifetime, Oprah's Oxygen Network and House & Garden TV.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm not in love with the FSC schedule this year. Selling the early Saturday match to Setanta ruins one of my favorite weekend traditions, even though the addition of the good Sunday match makes up a little. Other than EPL, all that we get is a crappy Serie A match and Argentine soccer (which I hate with all of the diving and the crap on the field).

One of my buddies said that an FSC announcer went to go work for the WWE. Is that true?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Prem stuff on FSC bores me usually. Too predictable.
    On the other hand, last week they showcased the Sicily derby live complete with rioting, death and destruction.
    Now that's great TV. They didn't even censor out the naughty bits in the replay.

Other things I like about the channel: Sky Sports News, Boca-River games, FA Cup ties, Lazio home games, fan vs. fan commentary replays..

Stuff that's awful: The Fox Sports World report, the changing lineup of leagues every season (This channel once had the Dutch, German, Scottish and French leagues...none remain), one awful call-in show, second rate choices when it comes to showing internationals.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I agree here, FSC needs to either bump the report down to half an hour, or bulk up on the highlights or features. A lot of the time they reshow stuff during the same show.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Ah soccer. The lazy man's treasure trove of jokes. Just remember, somewhere in Brazil there's somebody watching the US feed of ESPN thinking, "What loser idiot watches poker on TV?"

I too would like to profess my love for FSC and Gol TV. Flash back 10 years ago. If you weren't lucky enough to get the international channel or live in LA/Miami, the only international soccer games you saw were the occasional Champions League game on ESPN. It's like an NHL fan only able to watch 2-3 hockey games a year. It was awful.

Now, there's so much soccer on those two channels I actually get to choose which games I watch and don't.

The best part is switching to the SAP and listening to the Spanish games in Spanish. Loves it!

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Most of the time, isn't it basically a 1/2 hour of highlights shown twice? I get the feeling that some public access shows have bigger budgets than the Report.

9. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

while its not the level - or anywhere close - to the EPL, if you check out the MLS TV sched that just came out, there will be a ton of games on TV this summer on Wed, Thurs, Sat and Sun, not on FSC though so this statement probably doesn't belong on this thread, just throwin' it out there

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And that's what I've never been able to get past. The speed and intensity of MLS games are just SO behind anything you see in the EPL ... it always feels like you're settling if you watch it.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Before you get flamed for being a Eurosnob, let me say... I agree 100%.

I'll make a more concerted effort to watch this season, but it just isn't the same. And I find I'm physically incapable of watching a soccer match with football lines marking the field.

By the way, anyone have Setanta? That may be the one channel that finally gets me to switch from digital cable to satellite. (Would have done it already, but through work I get a pretty good deal on the cable.)

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Come to think of it, I probably would have called myself a Eurosnob for that. ;)

But it's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted