1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have to cover the state swim meet this week...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by skippy05, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

a lot of people want to go to state basketball and talk to donny dunk-a-lot.

no one wants to type bowling agate. no one wants to type briefs on 4th-grade traveling teams. no one wants to try and make sense out of a high school kid's quotes when he's suddenly faced with an interview and his brain is reduced to tapioca. no one wants to explain to a pissy parent why their kid's 15 points a game don't stack up to another kid's 15 points a game when talking about overall talent.

if more people what the job actually was instead of going off of t.v. or 'what they think' they wouldn't want to do it. most people like weekends off.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, and other unmentionable things. These are swimmers we're talking about.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We have one swimmer in our area (a freshman girl) going to state and she doesn't have a shot.

But if I had to go, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat.

Austin. Nuff said.

4. Ostentatious nailed it.

5. skippy05

skippy05 Member

A repreive!!!! The govenor called and the execution is off! I'm now heading to Mizzou Arena Saturday to cover the state wrestling tournament finals. Wrestling, like swimming, is a little tough to write about overall, but it's a helluva lot more enjoyable to watch...except the guy with his butt in the air suffering from a case of swamp-ass. But at this point, I don't care...NO SWIMMING!!! YAY!!!

6. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

watch out for the herpes at state wrestling...two kids disqualified at skin checks in my state's tournament today

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'll be there shooting that event, I think.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

thank god I've gone this long without covering a single swim meet.

9. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Uh, didn't say MIZZOU State...I said Mizzou Arena...as in University of Missouri...as in Mizzou...in Columbia...NOT Missouri State...Take your valium and everything is going to be okay...

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's an improvement, though a slight one. On one hand, there won't be a chlorine smell, but it will be replaced by that musty wrestling mat smell. On the other, the chlorine could probably kill some of that herpes virus (don't hold me to that, I'm no doctor). Being in a college arena, at least it will be a bearable temperature inside.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, in conclusion ... ?

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

With fingers crossed to avoid the cooties, I'll take 71 degrees and that slight musty smell over a humid 85 and the chlorine.

Draft saved Draft deleted