1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have to cover the state swim meet this week...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by skippy05, Feb 13, 2007.

1. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke. I'm covering this, then I'm heading to Cali to cover NASCAR weekend. I take the bad with the good, and you're right: the bad really isn't all that bad. But when you go from covering some of the best HS basketball in the state to watching swimming, it's a bit of a downer. And some of the people in this thread have totally hit it on the head: the parents can be a little psychotic. When I was covering the conference meet last week, I'm sitting behind this one guy who was screaming himself hoarse. Thing is, he didn't have any kids or relatives in the meet...he was just there...yelling for about three or four different schools and every girl from those schools. I had to force myself not to turn around and say, "Uh, you know they can't hear you, right?"

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wouldn't say this about any other sporting event, I think.

But you have my sincere sympathies.

3. Neither.

Take cinder blocks. Tie to ankles. Jump in pool.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Ahhhhhhhhh, I remember those days.

And don't forget the young boys wearing banana hammocks. SC would be in heaven.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One day in my life which still shows up in my nightmares: Not only having to cover the state swim finals at Penn State ... but having a major snowstorm hit during the meet and not being able to drive away from it when it was over.

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

"A lot of people" would love to spend six hours covering prep swimming??

I've never met any of these people, but I'll take your word for it.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I covered a major meet not too long ago. Swimming isn't bad - other than the screaming. Find an angle and go with it. Then plug in other results.

We just used one story to anchor the piece and filled in the other winners.

It's really not that bad.

I mean, it's not like you give stroke-by-stroke detail.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Isn't that the premise to Groundhog Day?

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Watch out for that first step -
    It's a dooooooooooooooooooooooozy

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ned? Ned Ryerson?

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Down for death; across for attention.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Dress cool no matter if it's 20 below outside.
    I covered a state meet 15 years ago at a HS pool and it was a frigging sauna. I had a sweater on and that sucker came off the second I was near the pool.
    To make matters more fun, the kid who I was mostly there for, was favored to win the state title and he choked.
    I had to wait 30 minutes for the kid to compose himself and even then he cried during the entire interview, not even 1 good quote.
    What a pussy.
    Needless to say, that was the first and last state swim meet I covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted