1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have really had it with "nil"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In that case, "nil" wouldn't fly for me. On TV, it's just fine. I agree, not in print.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would never use nil in print. Winning 1-nil just looks wrong. But it's perfectly fine to say it on TV.

I know some die-hard soccer fans and they get annoyed if they hear an American broadcaster say "One to nothing" instead of "One, nil." Saying "One, nil" doesn't prove you know anything about soccer to them, but saying "One to nothing" proves you don't.

Tie and draw I think are interchangeable. I guess I usually say "match" when referring to international soccer, but as I think about it, I'm pretty sure I usually write "game" when referring to high school soccer. I'm not at all consistent on that front.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know some annoying elitists.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not really. If you were listening to a british broadcast of the World Baseball Classic (just as an example ... I know no one watched it, much less in Britain) and the announcer breathlessly shouted in his best Cockney accent, "And David Ortiz belts a four-run homer!" wouldn't you assume he knows nothing about baseball?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Speaking of nil ... wait till Johnny Pimples is the first 7th-grader to sign an NIL deal.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize MLS announcers are trying to be purists, but all of the talk of "pace," "pitch" and "kits," and other soccer jargon barrowed from Europe is baffling to me.

HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio high schools just rejected it.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Do soccer teams that lose "fall" or "fell" like other sports teams?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I hate it when baseball announcers use made-up bullshit like "innings."

Hermes, Driftwood and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

While we are at it ... can we talk about how "time and space" are the same friggin' thing?! If you have time to shoot, you have the space to do it. If you have the space, you have time to shoot it.

Liut likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

“I’ve really had it with nil”

Was this thread started by Saban?

BTExpress, I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted