1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have really had it with "nil"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jun 25, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You are officially Bubba Wanker. :)

2. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

Would you prefer "aught"?

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Bollocks!!!

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wait, is "nil" actually a soccer term or just what the British use for zero, in the way they use lads for kids/boys/guys and arse for ass? Love and deuce are technical terms. I don't think nil is ... is it?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really don't think it's an official term. It's an affectation.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Right, like on Univision they aren't using nil, they're using "cero", right? So stop trying to be British when you're just a bunch of fucking colonists and say zero for the love of God.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

But people in the U.S. like tennis so that's OK.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

1. Love is a techincal term. Nil, as dooley pointed out, is an affectation, like their "chips" are our "french fries" and their "crisps" are our "chips".
    2. People like tennis? Maybe in the Connors-McEnroe days, but I'd be shocked if more than five percent of the population can identify any players other than Federer, Agassi, "the two black girls", "that hot Russian chick" and "that hot Russian chick that can actually play".

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How is 'love' a technical term, exactly? It means zero, just like nil does. Deuce is a term used to describe a tie, so it would be a poor comparision, but love is no different than nil.

And if you think pro soccer is as popular as pro tennis in this country, well then there's really no point in arguing because you don't know what you're talking about.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I have no problem if I hear a British broadcaster using nil, but when Kate Moss says it giving a result on Good Morning America, it bothers me. And, as I said on the original thread, I'm not sure why it bothers me, but it does. And love doesn't.

Now, talking about baseball, I get very upset when I hear that so-and-so "goes yard." But that's just me, I'll get over it.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have no problem with nil. I do hate it when soccer announcers, usually on FSC start throwing around terms like "cheeky", "handbags" or "Route 1".

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Love" and "duece" are parts of tennis' official scoring system. "Nil" is not a part of soccer's scoring system. Now, check under the bonnet of your Aston-Martin before you go to the loo.

Draft saved Draft deleted