1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have really had it with "nil"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jun 25, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

This may be silly on my part but I just had to see if anybody else agreed with me. I've had it with these US newscasters readiing off the latest soccer score and saying Germany won, two-nil. Now, I know what it means, we all know what it means, but when did it become a law that you can't say two-nothing on an English-speaking network? Is this written into the rules of World Cup soccer? Am I being an idiot worrying about this?

All I want is someone to give the scores and say "so-and-so won, 2-0." Or would he or she then be ousted by the soccer powers that be?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

ESPN Radio SportsCenter update the other day, guy was giving the baseball scores as Yankees 2, Red Sox nil. Or whatever.

That was too much for me.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

lol

ROTFLMAO

Just kidding, Casty. It's just another case of sportscasters thinking they're clever.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd say, "two-zilch, zero, zippo, nada, nothing, nil. Hey, by the way, congratulations to Team A for the incredible amazing awesome offensive explosion of actually scoring two goals in a single game. Call Guinness, or maybe Ripley's."

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

doesn't every game end with a nil?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, I have really had it with this "sport" called "soccer." So I think I'm with you, Casty. :D

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Just try not to watch ESPN and you don't have to worry about it. That's what I do. :)

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Unfortunately, too many sportscasters try to appear as if they know anything about the game when they say nil. I completely agree that its pretentious and pandering. Over 'ome, they say nil. Here, in North America, we say 'nothing'.
    Should anyone write 'nil' in my section its coming out.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a whole lot of "nil" in soccer.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't particularly care for "nil," but that is the term so it probably should be used.

After all, we refer to zero in tennis as "love" and nobody freaks out about that. What's the diff?

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Nil sounds so much better when Adrian Healey or Tommy Smyth say it. Dave O'Brien, not so much.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They also need to recognize that the British can't speak English, when they refer to a team -- a collective singular unit -- as "they."

Draft saved Draft deleted