1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have no problem at all with "political correctness," but...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does the mop that gets cast aside in the Swiffer commercials really have to have things turn out OK for it??

In the old versions of the commercial, the mop or feather duster would get the heave-ho from the cruel harpy homemaker and end up trying to get on a bus, its packed suitcase (HTF did it manage that?) flying open when the driver asked it for exact change. Comedy gold.

Now the damn mop ends up taking up with the pink bowling ball (tho a trip to the ball corer at the local lanes would probably be in order before things got too far along). They even end up on a pool raft.

This isn't folderol on the gold-standard order of Cookie Monster becoming a veggie freak, but c'mon.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Those commercials are gold... I'm thinking the guys from Player and the J. Geils Band appreciate the royalties.

And yeah, I'm with you ... why does the frickin' mop get a happy ending when so many of us real people don't? :D

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is easily the oddest thread I've ever seen.

4. dooley_womack1

At least i didn't ask for fart stories.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There's a commercial over here for one of those companies that offer to 'turn your old phone into cash'! In it, a woman gets a new phone, to the horror of her cute, but clearly out-of-date, animatronic phone, which bursts into tears.

But wait! The woman has contacted the phones-for-cash company. Heartened, the orange animatronic phone hops into an envelope, happy as can be.

But all I can think every time I see that commercial is that the orange phone just willingly accepted 'being sent to a farm upstate where it can run and play and be with all the other old phones'.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You don't bring me flowers, anymore

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can speak for a good silent majority of us when I say I would have preferred fart stories. :D

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, isn't a mop doing it with a bowling ball promoting interspecies copulation? And if we're going the politically correct to the death route, shouldn't feminists be angry that the mop (clearly a male, its whole shape is unrepentantly phallic) equates a woman with a bowling ball? Only good for throwing around, only appreciated because of their holes and easily and cheaply replaced at the bowling alley?

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"That bowling ball! It's my wife!!"

10. dooley_womack1

But is it a deadly majority?

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's getting closer, now that you're the second person on the thread to make that joke!

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

DAMN IT!!! I've had that song stuck in my head intermittently for the past month (I had the misfortune of hearing it in early January). It was successfully gone and now it's back. Oh the humanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted