1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never seen this happen before

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

this would only happen to you pressboxer. only you.

2. Was Rick Majerus coaching one of the teams?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There had to be a second spitter.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The ball came from the grassy knoll

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It apparently happened to the CFL as well, during the Grey Cup, no less, back in the day. During the 50s or 60s I believe. They didn't use to use nets on extra points and the ball would just go into the crowd. So they had 18 balls on hand I believe for the game, however they didn't expect the game to be as high scoring as it was. Upon the game's final touchdown with just a couple minutes left a fan who was standing near the sidelines stole the ball from the scoring player's grasp, only to discover that was the last ball available. They couldn't kick the extra point and with the game no longer in doubt they ended it.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

True story: I was at bat in and over-30 baseball game a few years back played on an ill-lit urban field. A murky August night. I hit a high fly to dead center field that looks completely routine off the bat, even shallow. The center fielder thinks so, too. He breaks in. The shortstop and second baseman float out. The ball disappears above the lights. Everyone stands around looking up, waiting for it.

Ball NEVER comes down. I circle the bases for a home run.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Did you find a way to include it in your gamer, pb?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That also happened in the 1940 NFL Championship game, the one that the Bears beat the Redskins, 73-0.

So many balls were kicked in the stands and lost, the refs told George Halas he had to stop kicking extra points. Halas wanted the game to continue (and pile on more points), so the Bears tried running it in twice. They made one, otherwise, it would have been 74-0.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

UPDATE TIME!!!

A guy from the school's athletic department told me tonight that the ball was found (apparently, well after the end of the game) underneath a wheelchair ramp on the visitors side. This was the opposite end of the gym from the main entrance, and with such a small crowd (600 or so, mostly on the home side) it was probably an area nobody set foot in the entire night.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was the ball autographed "Warmest regards, Roger McDowell?"

Draft saved Draft deleted