1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never seen this happen before

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Dec 2, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

For the first time in 20 years in this business, I covered a basketball game Monday night where the game ball literally disappeared without a trace.

A player made a steal, went in for a jam and was fouled in the process, took exception to the foul and a little shoving and mouthing ensued. The shooter was given a technical for the extracurricular activity and it took the officials a few seconds to get it all straight (who had what; do we shoot the tech first or the free throws for the original foul?).

They get things straightened out and prepare to shoot free throws, only there is no ball with which to shoot. Players and officials are looking under bleachers, around corners, down hallways, anywhere the ball may have gotten off to, but without success. After a couple more minutes, an assistant coach had to run back to the equipment room to get a suitable game ball (none from the rack used for warmups was deemed worthy).

I have covered way too many baseball games where play had to be stopped while foul balls were rounded up. I have been at football (and soccer) games where a kick landed on the wrong side of a fence and had to be retrieved before action resumed.

But how the hell do you lose a basketball in the middle of a freakin' gymnasium?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did they ever find it later?

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Someone walked off with it when no one was looking, would be my guess.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think you should go back and recreate the scene of the crime. Pretend you are a CSI guy and write a story about it.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Examine the game tape frame by frame like the Zapruder film.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I hope this was girls basketball.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They had multiple game balls (one primary ball and a couple of backups) at every game I ever covered. I think it was required by rule.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, because there are a lot of jam attempts in girls high-school basketball.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I suspect the pregnant lady.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really? I was gonna go with the pregnant guy.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Back and to the left.

Draft saved Draft deleted