1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Since the sentence doesn't express even an iota of empathy or sympathy toward those asking for the autographs, I'm going to cast a vote for "embarrassed by."

2. Should have said as truck owner, I apologize.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I run a scholarship golf tournament every summer and would love to have the prize tables I see at other functions. I send a lot of form letters to teams, leagues, individual athletes, etc., never mentioning my background, and the response is lukewarm. I have some pull with one league I regularly cover where I'm friendly with some officials and they make sure my request gets in the right hands, and one of my employers makes a generous donation every year, but that's as far as I'll use my stature (if I even have any).

Or maybe being a moderator here could get me half-off those SportsJournalists.com thongs. Now that's pull.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No apology needed - I truly did not know.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no problem with that. Halberstam was one of ours. Signing books is what authors do.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had John Wooden sign a copy of his book when I saw him at the McDonald's Game several years ago.

They gave his book out in the media packet and he came in and signed a bunch and when he got to me I just handed it to him.

I felt strange doing it. I don't know if I'd do it again, but I was able to sleep that night.

7. Like others have said, my autographs are the tapes I've retired that have interviews on them with famous people.

That doesn't mean I haven't gotten excited to talk to certain people. I still remember calling my dad as I was leaving an event where I got to talk to Harry Kalas and he acted like a kid on Christmas morning. The next time I saw him I played the tape for him and it was pretty cool to sit and listen to it knowing it was one of my dads heroes.

But when it comes time to actually be at the event, that's the time to be a professional.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, dammit, jgmacg, you're right, of course, but that wasn't one of the choices!

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That reminds me of one more autograph I got in my flackery duties.

My dad is a huge Amy Alcott fan. He knew her mother pretty well, even going to her wedding. Thus, he followed Amy's career fairly closely.

Four years ago, we did PR for the event she hosted here in LA. So I took that moment to tell Amy about my dad. She graciously personalized an autograph on a tournament program for him.

He couldn't have been more thrilled when I gave it to him.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doing PR is a lot different than covering the event.

11. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I agree 99.9999 percent with the attitude that you don't use your credentials to get autographs. Autographs, even has a kids, were never my thing. If I were to break that rule, it would be if I was interviewing one of three, maybe four, athletes who where my favorite players in their respective sports when I was a kid. It would have to be in a private, one-on-one setting, not in a public forum, and I might be inclined to ask -- probably would be too embarrassed to -- but in the end, I would probably simply treasure the interview tape more.

It's unlikely I would ever be in that situation with one of the four players I had in mind so it's all probably moot. Here's why, however, I would make an exception. Most of us developed a love for sports when we were kids, and as working professionals, that love for sports, while still there, has probably changed. So for one instant, it's a chance to channel that love again or look at these ''grown men'' through they eyes as of an 8-year-old.

I recently saw a you-tube video of one of these athletes and while I was watching it, I was no longer a 40-something sports writer. I was an 8-year-old kid watching my favorite player, and it was a neat feeling, something I haven't felt in years. There are only three or four athletes that could make me feel like that. As an adult professional if I had the chance to interview any of them, I would be professional all the way. At the end, if it was a private interview, I might ... might be that 8-year-old kid for one moment.

12. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Hell, I've met three of my childhood heroes, and got goosebumps each time. And all 3 couldn't have been nicer. They're still larger than life.

Draft saved Draft deleted