1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Thank you, sir, for the polite explanation.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's kind of a corollary of the joke about the dumb actress coming to Hollywood and making it with the writer.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The lower you go on the racing rung the less professional the media is. I occasionally cover USAC stuff, you should see some of the clowns "covering" the race for their no-member fanzines, no-hit web sites, etc. There's literally like 20 photogs snapping shots, it's like they pop out of the ground like C.H.U.D.S.

When I grab the winner just as he gets out of the car, before they take their dopey-ass trophy shots, you'd think I was Jim Gray interviewing Pete Rose-level intrusive. Even the TV crew from Speed tried to defer to these schmucks. Fuck that, I'm on deadline.

4. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Looks to me like there was one reporter from the Cincinnati Enquirer, and one from the Lexington Herald-Leader at the race. And that's it. The rest were smaller papers, or the large number of Cincinnati TV and radio people who flock to the race and may or may not be working.

I haven't been there in a while, but it always felt to me a little clubby -- with the PR flaks being former Cincy TV folks, and catering mostly to the Cincinnati TV and radio markets, which is their prerogative, but that's the deal.

I don't know who shows up at the press conferences for those things, but somehow they manage to get a couple of rounds of applause going for the winner, which I hate. Nothing like a press conference where the press is outnumbered 3-1 at least.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I considered getting my credential revoked to touch Ed Robertson when the Barenaked Ladies were at Richmond two years ago. That's pretty much it.

Otherwise, I just keep my fond memories of being called "sweetie," "hon" and "dear" by Tony Stewart. Ah, patronization.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Never asked for autographs when I was a writer, but as a flack, I've broken my rule a few times -- almost exclusively for items to donate to either charity or my kids' schools for various fundraisers.

At Little Bird's Catholic high school, parents are required to perform "Christian Service" -- that means donate their time or items to various fundraisers throughout the year.

For me, this translates into golf tickets from our various events or signed memorabilia, which beats working Bingo night, selling tickets or drinks at Las Vegas Night or cleaning up after football games.

Christina Kim, Lorena Ochoa, Annika Sorenstam, Phil Mickelson, Retief Goosen, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer are among those who have graciously obliged.

The only time I asked for an autograph for someone was when Mike Eruzione played the Bob Hope three years ago. Little Bird and I just saw "Miracle" and I got Eruzione to sign a program for him.

And with that... post 4K. ;D

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Phil Mickelson GRACIOUSLY obliged?

There must have been a TV camera there.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I always used to consider having a quote from someone in my story better than an autograph ...

"Wow, did you get a chance to talk to Michael Jordan?"

"Read my f-- article and find out"

Or, "When did you meet the drummer from ZZ Top?"

"Read my f-- article and find out"

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No, surprisingly enough, there wasn't, Montezuma.

Unlike another superstar, multiple major-champion golfer from Southern California who shall remain nameless, Mickelson actually signs autographs after every tournament.

That... and I know his flack ;D ;) Which didn't hurt.

10. jemaz

jemaz Member

Nearly 10 years ago at the Phoenix Open, my young son (then perhaps five or six) had a mushy styrofoam?? golf ball for Phil to sign as he finished his round. Phil could not sign the ball because it could not be signed. Phil told this to my son and asked him to get something else that could be signed. My son took off to frantically search for something signable. A full 10 minutes later, he returned with a battered tournament program and found Phil still waiting for him. The battered program, now autographed, is framed and on the wall in my son's room. My wife and I along with my son and his brothers (and sister) are the only ones who know this story (until now). Mickelson is the classiest athlete I will ever meet.

The thing I have realized (learned) most since, first, I stopped writing sports and then later left journalism altogether after a decade-and-a-half (long ago now) is that journalists and especially sports people tend to be far, far too cynical (myself included).

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Cynical? Nah.

I've just learned these athletes aren't that special. They're regular people who have a skill and get paid millions for that skill.

12. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

If you are credentialed for an event, it is certainly inappropriate -- and in some cases, explicitly banned in writing on the credential itself -- to seek autographs.
    It's an abuse of your position and also jeopardizes the image of the professionalism of all other credentialed reporters in the eyes of the athletes you're covering.
    A credentialed reporter has access that the general public doesn't have, and that access is based on him or her doing a job, not using it for personal gain.
    I knew a minor-league baseball stringer who used to bring his card collection to games he covered. Lots of guys told him to buzz off, but some signed.
    Occasionally, you might get asked to get autographs for kids (your own or others), and if that's the case and you absolutely have to do it, it's probably wise to go through the team's PR department.
    I think it's a little trickier if you're at a banquet, say, and somebody is the guest speaker. Often there's no credential involved, and some cases, you might have had to buy a ticket to get in. I still wouldn't do it, but it might be a little more kosher than doing it at a credentialed event.
    What if you're interviewing someone at a signing event? Well, here again, if you pay the fee to get in, I suppose you could make the argument it's OK to get autographs. I think if they let you in just to talk to the subject, it's probably off-limits.

Draft saved Draft deleted