1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

What about this situation?

A few years ago, I covered an event for which David Halberstam was the keynote speaker. Now, one of my very favorite books was his "October 1964," about the Yankees and the Cardinals. I took it up with me to the event and had him sign my copy of it.

Normally, I wouldn't have done anything like that, but I felt it was warranted, based on my feelings about the book and in respect for one of the great writers and journalists of our generation. And, in light of his tragic death not long afterward, I'm glad I did it.

Any thoughts?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Just this one:

[​IMG]

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just that if you're at an event as working media, you don't ask for autographs. Very unprofessional.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"I do the sports news here, Mr. Flytrap. I don't know if you've noticed, but there certainly are a lot of negroes in sports."

"Yeah, well... say what?!"

5. lono

lono Active Member

You should have been at the Las Vegas Cup race last year when a reporter nearly tackled Mark Wahlberg so she could get her picture taken with him.

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Are you really this childish? You're a grown man who wants the signature of another grown man?

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Sorry I'm not going to get all worked up about it. They're grown adults, and this is between them and their conscience. If other journalists want to bigtime it, or be self-righteous, so be it. Same thing. I'm not going to get worked up. Not worth the energy.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Isn't that like the screenwriter big-timing the starlets?

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I always look down on seeking autographs, but part of me can rationalize it as an ego thing. "Hooray! I can prove to my buddy Jeffy that I actually met Joe Superstar!"

As for me, I've just been able to take pleasure in knowing that I've spoken to and, on occasion, shook hands with some of the top pro athletes. I'll use my notepad, which contains our conversation, as my "autograph," thank you.

10. I have no idea what that means.

Then again, I thought Stone was saying he's a condom.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

EXACTLY! My favorite interviews....those are my autographs. And I keep those tapes separate.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, the place-kicker acting like he can big-time a reporter, as if he were the quarterback or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted