1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. My moment of realizing that pro athletes are often not the kind of people you'd want to look up to, let alone beg for an autograh came one summer when I was an equipment gofer for an NFL team at training camp. I had yet to consign my future to the wonders of journalism.

I got berated by kicker Eddie Murray because he'd crammed too many socks, jocks, shorts, etc., in his mesh laundry bag and it hadn't all dried upon going through the dryer. Happily, he was cut a few weeks later.

2. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I almost asked the starting point guard of the JV girls basketball team once

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

As well you should. She works just as hard as the varsity starting point guard.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Randy Moss Motorsports, for the record.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Good catch, IJAG. Get yourself a Dr. Pepper from the cooler.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate you, Meaty.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Acting like you're a member of my family doesn't get you in my will.

8. Justice!

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Granted, if you wanted to get an autograph of a pro-athlete NASCAR owner who appears to be approaching the sport in the right way, with humility and an understanding that it takes more than a smile and a check to get to the top of the circuit and be successful ... yes, Randy Moss would be the guy. Go figure. I hope he makes it work and I'm bringing a football and a Sharpie to next week's truck race at Indy.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Back in my sportswriter days, I covered an event with the 1980 Olympic hockey team. (That's the USA hockey team, for the Canadian crowd.)

Anyways, as much as my teenage self had idolized that team in 1980, I was bound and determined that I was going to be professional as professional gets.

I get to the event and what do I see? Media - television and print - not only asking for autographs, but asking them to sign things like sticks, jerseys and shirts.

I was not one of them.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How many of them came under the heading of "people who work at a media outlet and scored a credential" (as opposed to "actual reporters")?

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

one of the bigger dicks i've covered

Draft saved Draft deleted