1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have never been so embarrassed of fellow journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, a diaper bag does make a certain statement, shottie.

2. It's not humiliating to wear a polo shirt. It's humiliating to be a grown man and ask another grown man for his autograph because he can run fast or jump high.

Also, I don't think that many events give out freebies any more, to be honest with you. I think I got a cheap backpack from a BCS game a couple years ago. It's not like people are lining up for their schwag. You basically get handed your credential, your media guides, etc., etc., and that kind of gets thrown in there with it.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Humiliating?

Humiliating is taking shit from a coach or player in front of everyone without saying a word in your own defense, either right then or privately. It's not asking a guy for an autograph for a kid, unless, yes, you are a total fanboi looser. Even then it's not humiliating. It's just pathetic.

As for the swag, it probably has declined in the last few years. But it still exists. Neither swag nor autographs are good.

Clocks are OK, though.

2:21:04, 2:21:05, 2:21:06, 2:21:07 ...

4. I guess I just believe that autographs are off limits, no matter what. That one's non-negotiable to me (except for the rare, rare, rare exceptions like Rosie's story).

The thing is, I just wouldn't even think to want another grown man's signature. Wouldn't cross my mind, really.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've never quite gotten past the creepiness factor in that, either.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I got Bruce Springsteen's autograph when I was 19. Nothing creepy about it. I stalked him for two days to get it.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe not, but if you'd been 20 at the time ...

8. It's a weird thing. I mean, I've signed books for good friends and thought nothing of it. Nor do I when I see, say, a signed jersey hanging in a sports bar that says something like, "To all the patrons at Joe's Bar - have a drink on me! Love, Brian Urlacher."

But sports writers asking subjects for an autograph? To me, besides the creepiness, you at once surrender the equal footing in that relationship.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I was at an event and our freelancer took pics of me interviewing some pro players (we're far from a pro town).
    There is a guy I work with - perhaps one of the most unprofessional people I've ever worked with and someone who is not particularly good at what he does - who covers events based on who he can meet. He covered a charity golf event and had pictures taken of him and various athletes - and hung them in our office. He covered a Sox game last year because a player who used to be in the coverage area (our paper's area changed) was going to be in town. I can't even imagine how that went.
    He wears bowling shirts to work, because he is an aspiring pro bowler. Not polos - the kind of bowling shirts with flames and shit on them. It makes me want to puke.

Draft saved Draft deleted