1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have malignant salivary gland cancer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Keep pounding.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's "Keep Pounding" ... what mngwa just said. That goes double for you, Boogie.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Keep pounding. Doctor's orders!

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Good luck, CBD.

Or, KP*.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I posted this to social media and sharing here bc you folks have been great. I read the Anti-Cancer book @Azrael :) thank you

“Talking about cancer is difficult, both for the person who has it and the family and friends whose lives are equally impacted. No one knows what to say or do; god knows I didn’t. I was diagnosed with a malignant salivary tumor near my right ear on January 26, the last semi-normal day I remember. It was a rare cancer with no known origin, though if anyone had a lifestyle that might have raised his odds of winning the lottery, it was me.

I of course told family and friends, but many people who saw me in the interim never suspected I had to have a 12-hour surgery to remove my parotid gland and about 100 lymph nodes in my cheek, then had that cavity filled by a flap of skin they carved from my left thigh and attached to the arteries and veins in my cheek – while running a high risk of clipping my facial nerve, leaving me with palsy and an uglier face than I already have. (Pictures available on demand.)

But given all the worst-case scenarios, I got extremely lucky in just about every respect. The surgeons and nurses at Yale were amazing, the procedure went great, all the cancer was removed, and I’ve been healing really well – thanks to a phenomenal support system of family and friends, both current and past. Ya know, it actually means a lot when people say, “I’m glad you didn’t die.”

I am, too.

This morning I finished my 30th and last session of radiation. Three months from now, I’ll get a checkup to make sure it hasn’t returned. But for now I’m enjoying the first modicum of normalcy I’ve had in four months.

They say there’s no time like the present, but I’d prefer to think there’s time BUT the present. For now, I’m alive. And if you’re reading this, you probably are too.

Thank you again to my family, friends and loved ones. Especially my rock of a wife.”

CD Boogie

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You're welcome. And yes, Yale is pretty great.

Very pleased about the good report.

Get busy livin'!

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really glad for such a great update.

Sounds like you have been through an ordeal, but your attitude and how you have handled it sounds amazing.

wicked likes this.
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That one’s still leaving the park. Well done, CD.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great news, CDB. Boogie on!

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Best kind of update!
    Keep moving forward, one boogie at a time!

11. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Boogie, boogie, boogie, can you see…

great update

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Great update!

Draft saved Draft deleted