1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have fallen in love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This sign could use a little copy editing ...

Hacksaw, if your feet are durable enough to wear any shoe, good for you. Some of us have big feet. Still others have wide feet, and while it's not necessary to find the priciest footwear available, not just any shoe will do for everyone.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Let me try to explain, though those with your attitude may not understand it. Not a knock on your attitude, it is a fine one and your choice and all but we obviously see the shoe thing differently so it may not make sense.

Blame my mom. She was big on etiquette and style. She'd literally sit there with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth for ages waiting for me to reach for my lighter (I never smoked but she made me carry a lighter). A gentleman, she said, ALWAYS lights a ladies' cigarette. God help me if I didn't hold the door and all that.

She also said: Being well dressed means head to toe. Don't skimp on shoes, don't skimp on socks. All should be appropriate to the entire outfiit. My ballcap was fine with my jeans and a t-shirt. It was not with my suit. My flops (which I'm wearing now) were fine with shorts and a t-shirt. Not with a suit. I love birks as has been chroniciled on here. I wouldn't wear them with dress clothes any more than I'd wear my formal black shoes with my shorts.

She emphasized buying good, quality shoes that will last. Spend the extra. Now the shoes from my fav store that I often throw up here for yuks may not be for everyone. Some are so outlandish that even I wouldn't wear them. But I have a lot from there and I'll have them the rest of my life. They are quality. They never wear out.

So that's it. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course, now that my income ebbs and flows I may sing a different tune on my limos. In the old days, I'd have those shoes by now.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fashion aesthetics aside, those who skimp on shoes will regret it when they get to be about 50-60 years old. My dad went with the bargain K-Mart/Wal-Mart sneakers for years, and now he's got fallen arches, heel spurs and any number of other podiatric ailments.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I give Moddy shit for his shoe fetish all the time, but I just found a pair -- two pair, actually -- that I want from his favorite place.

So I scroll down to the comments and who do I see.....that's right. He already owns both. Son of a bitch!

6. Moderator1

Those particular shoes you want are amazingly comfortable.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

To go along with what Moddy said, the right pair of shoes can pull an outfit together. I used to be the type of person to just wear tennis shoes unless I had to wear a suit or something like that. But, when I'm going out to a nice bar or club with friends I know my outfit's going to look better with black, dress casual Steve Maddens than when I used to just throw on a pair of white Adidas.

8. Moderator1

The whole be good to your feet point is excellent, too. Now that I'm in my 50s, I can tell when I spend a day in poorly made shoes. REALLY tell.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That is a great point. I see my grandfather, who has terrible problems with his feet, and realize that I can't be wearing sandals all my life.

10. Moderator1

Yeah. So it is good to note you can go as bland as you want on your shoes or as flashy - style is a personal choice - but skimping on quality is a very bad idea. You want plain black? Cool by me. Get good ones.

Once your feet stop growing, get good shoes that will last. Whatever style you like.

11. Moderator1

And these would be my choice in the plain black dress variety (look, they tie!!).
    Don't ever be afraid to add just a smidge of flair.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

WFW.

You can ruin a perfectly good suit with a crappy pair of shoes.

My father had a pair of English brogues that he bought in the early 60's for about $100.00. That's when you could buy a pair of shoes for ten bucks. They lasted him until the day he died because he took care of them.

When I was a kid he'd be all over you if you didn't:

1) Use a shoe horn ("What are you doing? You're gonna break the back of your shoes!"

2) keep your shoes spotless

3) use cedar shoe trees (and never wear the same leather shoes two days in a row)

4) replace worn down heels

Some nice shoes there, Moddy

Draft saved Draft deleted