1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Yesterday an old lady in front of me got the following:

1. two slices of swiss
    2. two slices of turkey
    3. two slices of roast beef
    4. two slices of ham
    5. 1/4 macaroni salad
    6. 1/4 cole slaw

Devil would have had a heart attack waiting on granny.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They should really have separate lines for senior citizens in any public environment -be it grocery stores/ banks / air line counters/ motor vehicle dept, ect. They just ask too many questions. Worst is they still pay with cash (agonizingly counting out each penny from their change purse) or have no idea how to operate ATM Card. Each bottom pressed takes hours. It's like they are afraid if they push wrong button they will send missiles at The Kremlin.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't like waiting in line at the deli, buy a damn canned ham and gnaw on it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One day last week, I tried to make a quick run into a small, city grocery store near where I live. I rarely shop there. Don't like it; too expensive.

Checking out, the area is tight by each register. I get stuck behind this old couple. They pay for their groceries, they are bagged, and for some reason they decide to rearrange everything right there, putting stuff in other bags they have. They take an eternity to do it. The woman doesn't move out of the way to get to the front of the checkout counter. So I can't get to the ATM / checkout thing to pay. I accept they are old people, though, so I reach around her and find a way to swipe the card and get my pin in there, all the while twisting myself like a pretzel.

I have two items. So I just want to get out of there. The oblivious woman is blocking me. And they are arguing now. "Put it in there." "No there." The old woman is blocking my way. I can't get out. The person behind me can't get up to check out.

So I politely say "Excuse me." She either can't hear or ignores me. I say "Excuse me," again, but much louder. Again, she doesn't even turn around. So I tap her on the shoulder and say "Excuse me, can I PLEASE get through?"

Her response, "In a minute." Doesn't even move an inch. She says it like she is annoyed with me.

At that point, all bets are off, so I pushed my way past her, and intentionally bumped her (but not too hard) on my way through. Being old is no excuse for being rude.

5. He would not have been the only one.
    I think my head would've exploded.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I always assumed they were all eating dog food.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's your problem with the name?

[/ poster who has a boar's head in his 350-year-old family crest, as it signifies "valiant hospitality," because the innkeeper in his lineage knew that serving a boar's head first required a dangerous hunt. ]

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

i remember hearing stories, something about not finishing a sandwich at an outing?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

"fuck you and your cheese!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The woman who works the deli counter at my local market -- **sigh** Walmart -- is the female equivalent of Tim Conway's old man on the Carol Burnett Show.
    Nearest Publix is 25 minutes away and I go when I can -- tho I can do better and cheaper than Boar's Head.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the kissing cousin to this thread is the people who go to Subway (or Taco Bell, or McDonald's, or any other fast food place, but Subway is the worst) and have separate orders for 10 different people in their office. It's even worse when you forgo the 6-car drive thru lane for the quick trip to the nearly empty inside counter.
    You see the line, see one person ... cool. Be in and out. And then they break out the list.
    "I want one 6-inch tuna melt. No tomato. Yes, toasted. Oh, and lettuce. Then a footlong Italian sub. Waht kind of cheese? Oh, they didn't say. Swiss, I guess. You don't have swiss? American then."
    And it goes on like that for 10 minutes, backing up the line because there's one fucking person working the counter. I want to beat them with a footlong Italian BMT, extra vinegar, until their ears bleed.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The moral of the story is don't go to Subway... (Find a Publix! better and better value! Unless there isn't one by you, then forget it)

Draft saved Draft deleted