1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I can't stand to wait at the deli or grocery store.

Don't those people realize that I need to get home as soon as possible so that I can kill time in some other way?

They're cutting into my aimless Internet wandering and TV watching!!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I see numbers ... all around me! :)

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wasn't the one complaining. But ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Maybe some people order stuff that takes 10 minutes. Life's too short to rant about 10 minutes.

2. As someone posted earlier, why does wanting four kinds of cheese make someone an asshole? Maybe they're planning for a party. Whatever, they got there before you, so deal with it.

3. Or maybe they should have two people because there's a very good chance that some asshole like you will come in and be overly impatient about waiting your fucking turn.

4. The sale prices at the 2-3 grocery stores I patronize are programmed into their computers. Maybe you didn't get lucky. Buck up. I'm sure they gave you the sale price when you pointed it out -- probably very loudly and obnoxiously.

5. Again, you're condemning someone who got there before you. If I want my meat thin, tough shit to anyone behind me. It ain't personal.

6. They probably have to re-wrap for reasons to do with cleanliness or something. Again, this is some pretty weak shit you're bitching about. If it's that bad, buy the prepackaged lunch meet and cheese. Hillshire Farms and Sargento are my favorites.

7. Have a drink. Have several drinks. And STFU. There's nothing rational about your hatred.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The Stop and Shop in my old neighborhood had Boar's Head and the store brand, which isn't bad.
    My most recent neighborhood had several deli options, so never more than a 5 min. wait.
    I don't understand why more stores don't have that computer kiosk---it is the 21st century y'all.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you are OK with the SOP of the store?

I just love wasting my time so a store can make an extra buck or two.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm pretty big on groceries. I shop around, I check out all the local markets from time to time, I look at the circulars, and I have even invested a fair amount of money in what I think is the top grocery chain.

Even so, at ALL of the ones I've ever been to in my many years and travels, unless you are the only one in line or maybe the second one in line, it is inefficient to use the deli. That is just how it is.

Also, deli purchases always add up to be more than you think they will. My only advice is that it's a lot easier to slice your own block of cheese than it is to slice your own hock of ham.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

1. If you're waiting in line, you should know what you want by the time you get to the counter.
    B. The deli counter's in my neck of Cali seem incapable of slicing thin.
    iii. You're talking about people working at a supermarket deli counter. There's nothing ignoble about the work, but the smart, capable, motivated employees move on to better jobs.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Lot of East Coast bias on this thread. :)

Publix rules, no doubt. But I'll take Ralph's. I had a sandwich guy at the store near my old office who just piled on the meat (TWSS). I daydreamed about those sandwiches like I was Ryan friggin' Sonner.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What's your beef with Boar's Head (other than it's a stunningly unappealing brand name for meat)?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How's this for East Coast bias that takes it even a step further?

I hit Zabar's yesterday. I rarely go there, but we were right nearby. 1) Jeez, that is some expensive food. 2) Jeez, that is some GOOD food. 3) I got me two cheeses: a) A French Compte, which was a cool $13.98 a pound, and I suspect won't be much better than the one at Fairway, although Fairway isn't any cheaper, really. And to be honest, the best Compte I have found is at Trader Joe's! b) A French Blue D'Auvergne. I have had blue cheeses, but never this. At $8.98 a pound, it was a relative steal. We had a bit last night with some homemade bread and it was quite good. Strong like a blue cheese, but not too strong.Had a nice tangy flavor.

As for the deli, well, I haven't stood at a deli line in a supermarket in probably 16 years. It makes me feel isolated from everyone's experiences. :(

Oh, and Moddy, you are not an asshole for wanting a half pound of a couple of different cheeses. The cheap comment, of course, would be to say that you are an asshole for lots of other reasons than that! ... but you just aren't. :) Isn't waiting on the deli line about saying, "I'll have a quarter pound of this, a half pound of that, oh, and can I have a taste of so and so? Oh, that's good. I'll take a half pound of it. Etc."?

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've never really been around Publix, but Wegman's is worlds better than Ralph's. There's really no contest between the two. I enjoyed Ralph's, but they're decent supermarkets, nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted