1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too. Exact request: "As thin as you can cut it without shaving."

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Man shoots 12 at local Ukrop's. Film at 11."

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That it took this long for someone to post the above picture is quite an upset.

I don't really mind the people getting four different kinds of cheeses. I understand big orders. I like a good sharp cheddar, provolone and some other kind of wild card, myself. Same with meats. I put enough meat on a sammich to make Dagwood shake his head. What I don't really care for is the "asshole" that waits in line for 15 minutes and once he gets to the counter, takes another 15 minutes hemming and hawing over choices that should've been made while he was waiting. I've never seen bank ropes at a deli. Since you've got to take a number, you're perfectly welcome to walk up to the meat counter to compare prices and choices.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone ordering 4 or 5 kinds of cheeses and some high fat meats I really don't mind. I figure their life expectancy will be lower and their will be less of them to contend with.

What I mind is if they are really not prepared to just rattle off their order. No questions please or mid order changes.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ready to kick Sonner's ass for complaining about wait time:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with the Stop and Shop deli in my neck of the woods is their insistence to carry only Boars Head products for everything that's not cheap-ass bologna or cheese.

Yes, I'd like some oval spiced ham. What's that? You've only got the Boar's head version and not the Hormel one? Well, fu*k you and die.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A few comments...

Taking a number is not an option. There was one person in front of me in line last night. One. There cannot possibly be a shorter line and it was 10 minutes before I got waited on.

The girl waiting on him was dog assed slow.

If you cannot serve two people in 10 minutes at the deli counter, then there is a serious fing problem with the system. I honestly do not have a huge problem with the guy. It's more the process at every fing supermarket I go into.

Here are two more scenarios for people who are cool to take as long as they want even though other people are waiting. Sorry Moddy, but everything in this world has a point where people are being considerate to you and then you are not being considerate to them.

What is the over/under picking a movie at the Redbox? Is five minutes fine? Two? Ten?

If I am walking into a Subway by myself and I hold the door open for a woman who enters before I do, she is now in front of me in line. I am cool with that. No problem. But she then whips out a list from the office and proceeds to rattle off five different subs of five different checks. Should she have asked me what I was ordering because hers is going to take forfuckingever?

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have a similar story involving a bank. I opened the door for someone, which puts her in front of me in the line. Like you said, it's okay. She then pulls a store money bag out of her rather large pocket book. For my one transaction, I was 20 minutes getting out of what was an empty bank when we walked in -- with the exception of the other teller who was counting up a different money bag. I look forward to the day that I can slam the door on that inconsiderate...money bag.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

All I really want out of my hickory smoked turkey is for it to be as thin as possible. That way, it doesn't get slimy... and that way, I can pile it on like I'm the freaking king of the world.

Unhealthy or not, turkey and cheddar sandwiches constitute about 50 percent of my meals at home. I'm one lazy bastard.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Leave it to Doc to bring sabermetrics into the goddamn deli line

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I have a very rational hatred for those people. Not only should they not be surprised (the post office is busy the Friday before Christmas — go figure), loudly bitching while in line isn't making things better.

Draft saved Draft deleted