1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a very rational hatred for the deli at the supermarkets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The answer to all the OP's questions is b/c the Steelers suck.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well said.

And if waiting 10 minutes at a deli sets off this kind of rage, I'd hate to see how he goes off on a real rage event.

Never mind, that I have never seen those kinds of lines at a supermarket deli area.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Me neither 99% of the time.

It's also about WHEN you shop. We've got a monster deli in a huge supermarket and if you go on a Saturday afternoon, you may have ten people in front of you (take a number) at the deli

But then, if you show up at a supermarket at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon, you get what you deserve.

It's like the people around me on December 23 who were complaining how fucking long they had to wait in the check-out line at Eddie Bauer's

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I mean, I have little argument against the fact that I am an asshole. But not because of that.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's a fascinating literature emerging regarding the psychology of waiting lines. Two of the more intriguing findings are:

1) Suppose you have two scenarios. In one, your average wait to be served is 3 minutes and the amount of time you'll spend getting served is 2 minutes. In the other, your average wait to be served is 2 minutes but you'll spend 3 minutes getting served. Research shows that, even though the total time is the same in these scenarios, the great bulk of people would perceive the latter scenario as faster.

2) Suppose in one service setup, the average time waiting/being served is 5 minutes, but there's an obvious queue and everybody's clear on who'll be served next. In an alternative setup, the average time waiting/being served is 3 minutes, but there's no obvious queue, so the whole "who's next?" issue won't be resolved fairly in every single instance. Still, on average EVERYONE gets out of there faster. Research shows that people perceive the latter scenario as slower even though it's not.

So maybe your hatred for the deli is real ... but it's not rational. :)

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't know if this is prevalent nationwide, but it's getting harder to find bologna at the deli here (I know, it's unhealthy).

Two major chains, you go in most of their stores and your only choice is Oscar Meyer.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People always overestimate how long they've been in a line.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Valid point. One I would have caught if I wasn't so tied up daydreaming about roast beef sammiches.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think devil needs tro change the thread ttle to "irrational hatred ..."

Stop 'n Shop kiosk is a great way to go, if they get the order right, which is not guaranteed.
    They do have excellent rare roast beef for $8.99/lb

I have no problem taking a number, going to shop for other things and going back to the deli counter by the time they get to me.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Wegmans > Publix
    Publix > Harris Teeter

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Teeter and Publix are very close, in my opinion. Not much separation. I was pleasantly surprised with Teeter's sammiches. Wegman's knocks it out of the park, though. As they do with just about everything.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I always get at least three items and ask for it paper thin without shaving.

If that pisses off the ASSHOLE waiting in line behind him in a Steeler jersey. Tough shit.

I'm surprised Devil isn't blaming the process on the server not spending four years in college honing their craft.

Draft saved Draft deleted