1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think he's implying something about people with tattoos.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife and I both work from home, but her new telemedicine job means I can't be stealing her bandwidth. So I am a coffee shop writer now, and I've got it down to a science.

A couple of local shops do double punches on the punchcards certain days of the week. Starbucks does double points on Wednesday. So I'm not only don't seem the weirdo who comes in and sits by himself everyday, I'm also not going to pay for coffee for the next few weeks.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have always found the library to be a good place to write, other than the office. (I don't do much off-site writing at my current job, though. It's not a "work from home" culture.)

Before kids, I'd write at home a lot. After kids, no.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’ve taken to writing everything by pencil. The sound is soothing, plus it’s in step with my thinking and easier to erase than pen. I keep a sharpener in my bag. I prefer writing on the train or in the library when I’m not at home. Coffee houses, bars and restaurants are too distracting and, well, very poseurish. But whatever works for ya.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The interstate is my favorite place to write.

6. Jake_Taylor

I know you're joking, but being able to dictate into Google Docs in the car is an incredible time saver.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I cut and paste too much to write longhand, although I like the idea. Robert Caro writes in such a physical way, and I admire his work so much, that I tried it for a little while. Didn't work.

Coffee shop is bumping today, so I have my headphones on, listening to this on a loop.

Bring on the trance.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm not joking. Back in the day when I didn't have kids and drove all over, I used to "write" for hours. Everytime I stopped, I'd scribble down what I had. Enjoyed the process. Kind of a challenge to see how much I could keep in my head at one time.

9. Jake_Taylor

Ah, I thought you meant typing while driving.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The timing is right for it to have been about when the President asked reporter April Ryan if she could set up a meeting for him with the Congressional Black Caucus.

Trump asks April Ryan to set up meeting with black lawmakers - CNNPolitics

PCLoadLetter and YankeeFan like this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If this were a real Vietnamese coffee shop, the waitresses would have been naked or at least topless.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I used to do that, but after a while the typewriter in my lap became a tad uncomfortable.

SpeedTchr and Jake_Taylor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted