1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

You can now say you've reached the quarter pole.

SnarkShark and typefitter like this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Just cracked 80,000 words in the sunlit coffee shop. That feels good. Fuck the 70,000s. That sucked. So stupid that the word count matters that much psychologically, but it feels like I'm running downhill now.

Also, thanks to the kind, similarly obsessive soul who looped the new NEFFEX song for an hour. Most helpful.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice.

Downhill from here.

4. typefitter

Passed 90,000 words today: Sitting at 90,331. Maybe four thousand to go. I'll finish a rough first draft by the end of the week, about six weeks before deadline. Lots of time to polish. Feeling pretty damn good about it. A bit of work on a lot of days. Need to remind myself of that forever.

John B. Foster and swingline like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The work is showing up.

typefitter likes this.
  6. typefitter

I am at the coffee shop, in the finishing stretch, and the man two tables away from me but sharing the same church pew is farting like an elephant. They are silent and he believes he is going unnoticed, but I can feel the vibration.

This has been today's episode of "Writing in Coffee Shops." Tune in next week for "Lady Who Treats this Place like Her Actual Office and Then Gets Mad at the Side-Eye She Receives During her Thunderously Loud Phone Calls."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know how you do it. Much easier to sit in peaceful, unfarting, unphoning solitude at home.

Coffee's cheaper, too.

On a deadline for the next one. Last one arrives in your mailbox any day.

Busy busy.

typefitter likes this.
  8. typefitter

Well, this morning I've reached the end. The first of many ends. 93,324 words. I'm feeling pretty emotional about it. Obviously, I have a lot of work left to do, but there's a book where there wasn't a book before.

I started this thread when I started writing the book. January 11, 2018. So, almost exactly nine months to write a decent first draft. I would not like to start again right at this moment. But it's possible.

I hope if any of you have been giving serious thought to writing a book, that you treat it like a job and you write it. There is nothing between you and holding something you've written in your hands but time.

Huggy, TigerVols, Alma and 4 others like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice work, my friend. Congratulations.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Well done. It's been a joy following this thread.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Agreed. I especially liked it when type killed a few people in his coffee shop. Good times!

12. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Dunno who said it but it's true: I hate writing but I love having written.

Draft saved Draft deleted