1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've opened a bunch of those boxes. Robert Caro's goddamn signature was on all of them. Sometimes his was the only one.

cranberry and doctorquant like this.
  2. typefitter

Coffee-shop woman called out "See you tomorrow" when I left today. Equal parts pride and shame.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “Does she go?”

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

typefitter likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you imagine what it's like to devote basically the entire second half of your life to a biography of one single individual? I guess in a way it's a biography of a pivotal era in history, and Johnson is just the protagonist. But still. Once he was in, he was basically in for life.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Guy wakes up every morning and thinks, "What'll I work on today?" And then it dawns on him ... "Oh fuck, that guy again ..."

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

No. Because I don’t really regard my books as biographies. I’ve never had the slightest interest in writing a book to tell the life of a great man. I started The Power Broker because I realized that there was this man, Robert Moses, who had all this power and he had shaped New York for forty-four years. And nobody knew where this power was coming from, and neither did I. I regarded the book as a study of power in cities.

After I finished that, I wanted to do national power. I felt I could learn about how power worked on a national level by studying Lyndon Johnson. Rightly or wrongly, I regard all these books as studies in political power, not biography.

cranberry and Dick Whitman like this.
  8. typefitter

This is true. The last book is basically a study on how the Senate works. Or worked, back when it did occasionally work. Because LBJ kind of rose through the ranks, Caro can use him as the window to all these weird loci of authority.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I often wonder how different things might have been for him - for us all - if he'd written that La Guardia biography instead.

10. typefitter

One of the amazing things about Caro's whole story is how casually the idea of an LBJ biography came up. Bob Gottlieb was like, "How about Johnson?" Forty years later...

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd probably still be hitting a fade off the tee ...

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not if there was a chapter in there about closing your stance a little.

Draft saved Draft deleted