1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Have A Stress Test. I'm Worried

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I'm 32 and decided to have a physical. I'm overweight, but who isn't?

Anyway, I get the bloodwork back and I have "elevated CPK" which can - CAN - mean heart problems.

My blood pressure was slightly high, not scrary high.

There seemed to be no worry about my cholesterol. At least the doctor never mentioned it.

But now I have to take a stress test (ride an exercise bike or run on a treadmill). I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm scared only because CPK can mean other things, like a viral infection in the heart, among other things.

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared a bit.'

Anyone every had this news, done a stress test?

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I had the stress test for other symptoms. Nothing to worry about ... the test is a piece of cake.

Don't forget: If you go to see a cardiologist, the doctor will almost automatically order a stress test to cover himself/herself.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I think that's why I'm going. My GP said "as a doctor, I have to send you for a stress test because of this number, although I really don't think it's your heart."

However, I do have pretty bad acid reflux, which, as we all know, can be confused with heart problems. So that has me worried.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Done stress tests twice, eight years or so apart. Once on a treadmill, more recently on a contraption where I reclined, then had my feet up in a bike-like gizmo, pedaling with increasing resistance almost in the old "bicycle" calisthenics. Buncha probes and stuff connected to me.

Didn't know my CPK number, or even what it was. Cholesterol was 221 13 years ago but, through better food choices, got it to 179. Was overweight both times, but did fine on the stress tests -- weight is my only bad health number, I'm not a smoker, etc. Basically, I got pronounced, "Pretty healthy for a fat guy." Not ideal, but beat the alternatives.

Good luck. Take care of yourself. Certainly, don't let the job take a toll on your health.

Draft saved Draft deleted