1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I have a story idea."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jun 28, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My favorite email in regards to a "story idea" came about a month ago.

A "reader" emails us to complain that we didn't cover one of our school's divisional track meets (which, by the by, is like covering an exhibition basketball game in terms of importance for this team) and why we had chosen to cover a pair of girls lacrosse state championship games and a boys volleyball state championship game instead.

At first, we thought it was a parent and I wrote a pretty snotty email in response. I didn't send it, as I typically like to look those types of things over a day after I write them so I don't come off as a total dick, and the more I reread the original email, the more I realized it was a kid asking us why we didn't cover the track meet.

The tip off? He asked us why we didn't mention the accomplishments of Person 1, 2 and 3. Sure enough, I looked it up and he was #1 and his friends were #2 and #3. I had a big laugh at that one.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I get a lot of input from coworkers about stories I should post to the web. They almost always involve missing children.

I feel like punching them all in the head. If it doesn't happen in our county, doesn't involve the state government, the auto industry, POTUS, or anything else very major I.E. Michael Jackson dying, or the Super Bowl, I am not putting it up on the web. People don't come to our paper to read about Kaylee (sp?) Anthony.

I also hate when I get calls from people asking when something is going to run in the paper, because they don't subscribe and don't want to miss it.

Well, there's a solution for that.

3. partain

partain Member

I got a call the other day from a lady who wanted to pass along a story idea. She'd met an old rodeo cowboy selling stuff at a flea market and he seemed interesting.

Thanks, we'll get right on that.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

This twit is one of those who never read the newspaper....and just happened to pick one up the other day and thought to herself, "These people need good story ideas" as if it was an original thought.

Send the damn PDFs.

Draft saved Draft deleted