1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a new hero. Look at this story.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JuneBug1, May 4, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Some of your heartless mother fuckers will pick apart anything. Couldn't you just start a new thread for your bullshit?

We have eliminated the deer's natural hunters from the wild, and we have to hunt them to prevent severe overpopulation. As an animal lover, that's my opinion. That's fine that some of you disagree, but this isn't the thread to do that.

Can you really read that story, watch those videos and then ask those questions? On this thread? What the hell is wrong with some of you?

2. Could not stop the waterworks while watching the video.

Then I read the thread.

Unbelievable.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

despite an sec upbringing, hammer pants nailed it.

thank you and WFW.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that if a story deals with certain subject matter, say dying young, we have to like it and can't analyze it. That's the mind-set I don't understand. Write about a dying kid, win an award! Automatic.

The paper had to do this story. And it did an average job of it. The whole notion that it tells us something new about death? No, I think it's a very superficial job on that level. If Albom wrote it -- and I believe, in essence, he has -- the hounds would have him up a tree by now.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey frank, i doubt albom would have made me tear up if he wrote the story. you can rag on the writing and call it elementary all you want. but the story made me -- and many others -- feel something. what more can you ask for when you sit down in front of a computer?

and yeah, the kid is going to die and he's going to die young. maybe some of the people here can step the fuck off, have a shred of humanity and realize that point.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I understand that the kid is dying and I feel bad for him and his family but I just don't get the need why on this site the expectation is there for us all to act like shiny happy people when discussing.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think it's OK for us to respect a kid who's as good as dead.

that's all i'm sayin' and now i'm done.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There's the kid. And there's the story about the kid. Two different things.

9. Hammer Pants

And I just don't get why you're judging an 18-year-old kid dying of cancer.

And with that, I'm off this thread, too.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The shit started with this:

This is the post that started the shit. Not anything about how it fit, journalistically, mind you. Just one flamestarter, which got the intended result. Total bullshit.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Personally, I would like to think the folks here would have some sense of time and place.

CLEARLY, I'd be mistaken.

12. Hammer Pants

Quoting your judgement, before you accuse me of saying you never judged.

Draft saved Draft deleted