1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a new hero. Look at this story.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JuneBug1, May 4, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Boom, I think you need to Netflix The Deer Hunter.

Maybe sitting still for this boy just sucks, probably more so in the cold, so getting a few deer is a hell of an accomplishment.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No need to net flix it - know the movie by heart - One of my favoirites. You may recall that Diniro let the Buck live- perhaps because of his new found respect for llife.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DeNiro also was scarred mentally by a brutal war and an even more brutal game involving a bullet and a gun.

I don't think this kid is on the same level of mental scarring.

But the movie should also explain to you the importance of hunting in Western Pennsylvania.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So this guy would be more your type of hero?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29585

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

What a great story... What a great kid and how awesome the community is for rallying around him.

And for anyone having a problem with the hunting, get over it. Yes, it could have been left out, but it doesn't make the story any less inspiring.

6. Boom_70

The kid is going to die. You don't think he is mentally scarred. I get the dear hunting in western pa thing but I would like to think someone who is going to die might have a better appreciation for the living.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't believe that's the line people are up in arms about. This one was much more crass to me.

Really?

8. I don't understand the phenomenon either, Boom, but as a writer I wouldn't have left it out of the story. I'm not there to judge, just report. Some people will agree with the hunting and some won't.

9. Boom_70

Agrree on writer putting it in, but also think that there is nothing wrong with readers questioning how the kid could enjoy killing deer.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

man, boom, you've really lost me on this one. you might be best off letting it go. the only reader i've seen questioning the deer hunting part of the piece is you. the story was written for a western pa. paper, yes? highly doubtful the audience it was written for had much of a p.c. problem with the writer dropping in a graph about the score the kid made.

please, buddy, let it go.....

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I can't believe that story. Those stories are so important because they help us, as a society, understand death just a little better. We all have to face our own demise and the deaths of family and friends.

I'm not sure I understand how we ended up talking about the character an actor played in a movie that was made about 20 years before this kid was even born. But have a little tact, people.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think the opposite is true. I think when we glorify those who put a brave face on death, it inhibits those who feel scared and alone from talking about it because they are being told, to an extent, that the most admirable thing to do is make their demise palatable to the rest of us. If society wants a better understanding of the process of dying, let it read serious work on subjects, such as the books of the late Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, who found that a lot of dying people do not feel free to talk about how they really feel about it for fear of upsetting their loved ones. Look, I feel bad for the kid. And I think the writer did OK with it, for what it is. But this is all a bit "Tuesdays With Morrie" for me. And I do not believe such articles contribute anything to our understanding of death -- as I say, I think they do the opposite.

Draft saved Draft deleted