1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a new hero. Look at this story.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JuneBug1, May 4, 2008.

1. Are you saying it's cultural? :)

2. If the kid with cancer wants to talk about hunting, the damn kid can talk about it.

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

A contradiction, OK, we f'ing get it Boom.

Now, move on.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What would've made this perfect would've been video of the hit. Surely someone must've recorded it.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dawn is a tough time to video from a lighting standpoint.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good for the kid, but in general this kind of story grates on me. People have the right to die with any mind-set they want, and it's really not a newspaper's place to be holding up one attitude as more noble or inspirational than another. The kid would be no less heroic to me if he'd said he's pissed at God for killing him off this young, and I think that would be more reflective of how most people feel when they're told they have two months to live. The message this kind of story sends to the dying is that they ought to be strong and brave -- or at least fake it for public consumption -- instead of doing whatever messy things they have to do to finally make their peace with it.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

totally disagree.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Anyone still have an active link for this story. The paper's Web site doesn't have anything but a couple of the videos.

9. Notepad

Notepad Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08125/878966-85.stm

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I think what makes it a news story is how his illness is affecting the community around him. Players from other team holding him in such high regard, saying they're learning life lessons from one of their peers. If this was just about the kid and his family, I'd agree. But this is about a community coming together.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

John Challis and his parents have probably done all those messy things behind closed doors. They've probably told their God whatever they think of him, and probably will again.

In the meantime, just like the old cliche, "we're all day-to-day." Challis simply knows a little more definitely how many days he's got left. In the meantime, to use another well-worn cliche, "you can get busy living, or get busy dying."

Challis is doing both.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ.

Draft saved Draft deleted