1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a new hero. Look at this story.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JuneBug1, May 4, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Fuck man, wow. That was good.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's some good stuff.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A very quotable, very smart young man. Lord, the kid is centered.

Boy, listening to him speak just reminds me so much of the dialect of Pittsburgh. He also reminds me of the mindset so many people have back there. It really is a sharing community because in its history of the past 100 years, there have been so many times where not everyone had everything they needed, so to share, even in different ways, is very common.

I wonder if anyone on this board has ever been to Freedom? It's a very strange little town wedged between Rochester, Beaver and Ambridge. For all the history of the Beaver County schools (Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Blackhawk, Midland and others), Freedom so often gets lost in the shuffle because it, well, does not have that much history. Half of its residents seem to sit on a severely sloping hillside that falls to one of the largest connecting railyards in the world.

I think this young man just added a very nice piece of history.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some story but admittedly found this passage stuck in the middle to be a real contradiction:

"John loves sports. He is an avid hunter -- "got three buck and two doe in the last year,"

I would like to think that he would have developed a great appreciation for the life of all of God's creatures given his dire circumstance.

5. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

"No one gives it to you. You have to take it."

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Boom, you obviously have never swerved to miss a deer at 10:30 p.m. racing back to the office trying to meet deadline.

If we (they, I don't hunt) didn't hunt deer, they would be all over the roads and our backyards. I know that might sound callous, but it is true.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

And I will bet you never picked up a flyswatter? Smashed an ant at a picnic? Set a mousetrap, perhaps?

Come on, get a grip my good man.

And please, do not let the debate about God's creatures become the focus of this thread. That story and the videos were pretty good and that is what people should be talking about.

8. Notepad

Notepad Member

And how about when the kid said, of his RBI single, "I didn't want it handed to me. I wanted to earn it just like every other kid did."

Wow, that was tough to get through.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That kid proves that every minute in life counts. And I'm glad I spent the last 20 minutes watching those videos and reading that story.

10. Boom_70

But you have to admit it is a bit of a contraciction. I wish the writer had left that hunting tidbit out.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

hunting for sport is a reality in areas like the one in pa. this kid is from, boom. to have him taking pride in his hunting accomplishment is in no way a non-sequitor in this story.

12. Boom_70

We will have to agree to disagree, I just would have felt a lot better about the story if I had not read about the boy killing a bunch of dear. I am aware that deer hunting part of life in Western PA. It does not make it any less of a contradiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted