1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a dilemma!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BT, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Date him. I always dated people I worked with. It happens all the time when you have a bunch of young people living in a town where none of them are locals. Hell, I married a girl I worked with.

I dated more journalists than I did 'civilians.' They understand your hours and you have lots to talk about. The only negative is it can affect your work, but if you're worried that you or he won't be a professional about a break-up than you don't want to date him. Just start it casual and remember that if you want to well-off later you probably need to find someone not in the biz.

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

If you date him, good luck. But in the event it doesn't work out, be professional. It can be an uncomfortable workplace for both of you as well as others if it gets nasty. I've seen it damn near destroy a talented copy desk.
    For me, I wouldn't date anyone I work with. I need the separation, and so does my wife.
    To each his (or her) own, I guess.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I started in the business at 16 and finally met my wife at 34, so that was 18 years of being single, although not always unattached, in journalism. My rule was not unless it was potentially serious, which meant two women, although there also were female friends in the business who I saw socially but not romantically. My feeling is that the potential downside is so bad that I needed to abstain unless I somehow thought passing up the opportunity would haunt me for the rest of my life. In short, I needed to feel down deep that this would be worth it. I have to say that I regret neither (obviously neither worked out, but they were great women in their own ways), and I do not regret those who I never asked.

Draft saved Draft deleted