1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a dilemma!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BT, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Unless they're into that sort of thing. A lid for every pot, y'know.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everywhere I've worked, coworkers were married or were coworkers before getting married and one no longer worked there.

If you like him, go out with him. If you don't, go out with me instead.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I also like don't dip your quill in the company ink.

I've known peple who have done it and gone on to get married. And I know some who have gone down in flames. Generally not a good idea.

Now some casual sexing up, no problem. Gotta relieve the stress somewhow.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

go for it.

my wife and i met at our first paper, where we were both reporters.

i've been married for three years now.

i'm not in the business anymore but it has nothing to do with the fact that she and i were both journos.

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I do believe that's called "friends with benefits," no?

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

One good guideline I once heard was this.

Try going out discretely for 90 days. If it looks like it might last longer than that, than one of you might try to move to a situation where you won't be working together.

If somebody is in a chain of command one way or the other, that could be a problem. Otherwise, I don't know that you should have a complete prohibition of dating a coworker but some discretion should be in order.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It works better if you date a coworker that doesn't work directly in your department, obviously.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bang him. Ride him like you've never ridden before. If you like it, go back for more.

(Sorry, thought it was only fair to give the same kind of advise we usually give guys when this kind of topic comes up).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did BT say she was a she anywhere, outofp?

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Your personal life and well-being should always come before your job concerns. If this person is the person you're supposed to be with the rest of your life, how will you know if you don't give it a shot? Papers, jobs, all these other things come and go. True love is usually just a once in a lifetime thing, and some people never find it. Don't waste a chance to find it just becasue of the coworker akwardness.
    I know of several great couples that met and or worked at the Dallas Morning News. The paper was better for them all, especially since none were management people that fudged numbers, and led the papers down the path to hell.
    All that being said, make sure you know your company policy.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If as a mentor he hasn't shown you that "more clearer" is lousy grammar, you really shouldn't go out with him.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Also, while we're nitpicking, if you look up "dilemma" you'll find the definition to be: having to choose between two bad things. See, you learn something every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted