1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a dilemma!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BT, Apr 27, 2007.

1. BT

BT New Member

I am a new member of this site because I need some help here. Someone in the media business whom I work with has asked me out. I am not sure if it is appropriate to go out with a co-worker or not. He has also been a mentor to me, someone I look up to so I am not sure what to do here.

Any of you been in this dilemma and what did you do?

PS- if this is in the wrong place where I posted this question, I am sorry.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You don't shit where you eat.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is an old adage -- Never shit where you eat.

In other words, say no and move forward ESPECIALLY if he is your mentor. I'm quite sure it already has reached akward levels and if you go down the road with him and decide you don't like him, life at your place of business could become uncomfortable for you.

Really, I just think it is a bad way to go. That's not to say it can't work out, a number of my co-workers have married each other, but I'd avoid it especially if you are new or young in the business.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would not go out with someone who has been a mentor.

I think if you do go out with a co-worker it should be on a more equal basis.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

back to back... nice

6. BT

BT New Member

I should have probably worded this a little more clearer. He has acted as a mentor to me, but not officially, because I consider him more of a coworker. I have been in the industry for a number of years as a journalist.

Let me ask you all something, if you were attracted to a coworker or felt a serious connection with them, would you fight temptation or risk it and give it a try.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have given in and I have fought it.
    Found it a lot stress-free when I fought it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I'd have to say give it a try then since I have several times myself over the years.

From your first post it seemed more like a big shot putting the moves on a newcomer.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ace are you sure you are feeling OK? This is two posts on the same thread that I agree with completely....You must be slipping in your old age. ;)

And yes, if you are attracted to him and he is not in a position to exploit his authority and if you feel you've established yourself in the business to the point where it won't cause a stir, then I'd say go for it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll take a pill and lie down. Hopefully I'll recover.

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I've seen in-office dating/marriage situations work out really well and improve the morale of the whole newsroom in general.

I've also seen in-office dating situations completely blow up and cause all sorts of angst. Happened to a good friend of mine. Took him almost a year to break out of it.

Newsroom creatures, given the crappy hours we work, should/need to hang out together, be it a group dinner break or an after-deadline run to the bars. Heck, I've even gone to dinner alone with single coworkers of the opposite sex on a few occasions. But to seriously date a coworker? Too much risk, not enough reward.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's worked out for me . . . my wife and I met at a newspaper party and we've been married for more than 20 years.

I say, go for it, unless the guy's a boss or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted