1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a bad case of Vincenzo Testaverde, or running NFL Week 16 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Going back to an earlier post by spnited.

"Has there been one good MNF game this year?"

I can think of two that come to mind. Cowboys-Eagles was damn entertaining for anybody watching it. The Saints-Vikings game was damn good too because of Reggie Bush's punt returns. Cardinals-49ers came down to the last play. Browns-Bills was damn good. And the first Steelers-Ravens game this year was also a pretty good game.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Browns-Bills was "good"? Take that back.

Speaking of the Mistake By The Lake (WNY version), it's been fun, J.P. -- Trent Edwards practiced today, but if he's still not ready, Gibran Hamdan will start in Denver.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

It was entertaining. The ending was a clusterf*** for sure.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That would have much more national appeal later in the year when everyone figured out how good the Ravens are this season.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There are people working hard, so incidents like the 'was it a touchdown or not' call in the Baltimore-Pittsburgh game can be more easily resolved.

I think FIFA is working on a similar thing for soccer, but it's forever been postponed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Someone-s-developing-a-football-with-insane-tech?urn=nfl,129831

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FYI

Owens’s value on the field is undeniable. Only Jerry Rice, with 197, has more career touchdown catches than Owens’s 138. Owens averaged 74 catches and nearly 1,100 yards over his first 12 seasons in the league, and he has turned the ball over only twice in the past eight years.

But statistics only go so far when a player provides drama but no titles. (Just ask the Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez.) Owens has been to the playoffs eight times in 12 seasons, but he was on the losing side in his only Super Bowl. And of the 98 active players who have played in at least 10 postseason games, Owens’s winning percentage of .333 (4-8) ranks dead last.
    ANDREW DAS

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/16/demarcus-ware-is-a-model-of-consistency/#more-1715

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Yeah but in that SB loss he could've easily been voted MVP for that game and some feel he should've gotten it. Coming from a Cowboys fan, who absolutely detests the Eagles (more than any other NFC East team), I think he should've gotten it. That was a gutsy, just shut up and play performance. One I'd like to see him give more often (at least the shut up and play bit).

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Part of the problem on that play was people not knowing the rules, including the announcers. I read an explanation of this yesterday. Holmes caught the ball as his upper body was falling out of the end zone, but he did not have to have his feet down before the ball went back out onto the field of play. He just had to catch it while it was still breaking the plane of the goal line, then complete the catch by getting both feet down.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Might be worth mentioning, though it's not necessarily related to Week 16:

Contributions to the Keep Pounding Fund at better than $1 million.

Panthers keep pounding in Mills' memory
    http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=42508

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Always worth posting an update on something like that, Sam.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

And you're blaming the loss on Owens?

Draft saved Draft deleted