1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate when cops fish (or is it phish?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

As many of you can understand, driving home from work usually involves the late hours of the night. No change for me with the new gig. I know that many inebriated drivers attempt to drive home around the same time.

But this is getting ridiculous.

A week ago, as I was rounding the corner of the town square in the little city I live in (home of Trisha Yearwood and the site of the filming of My Cousin Vinny), I clipped the parking spaces. Now, there were no cars in these spaces, but one of the town's finest was sitting next to the Blimpie and thought maybe, just maybe, I was going a little too fast. Of course, he really wanted to know if I had been drinking (I hadn't). He ran my license and let me go.

The next night, as I turned on my headlights, I noticed the driver's side one was burned out. "Damn," I said, and vowed to stop by Advance Auto on the way to work the next day to replace it. Wouldn't you know it, as I was exiting the interstate, a friendly county deputy took notice and decided to inform me my light was out. Gee, thanks. Of course, he was again checking for alcohol. No dice.

Then, tonight, in between these two incidents, I passed another deputy sitting at the speed zone coming into another town. I had the cruise set at 62, so I knew I wasn't going way over the speed limit. I tapped my brakes as I went by and he decided I was going too fast. What he didn't count on, I guess, was the fact I run a RADAR detector at all times for this very reason. The standard questions led to "I didn't get a chance to get you on the gun, but you knew that already on the account of that there detector."

Which got me to thinking: What if I didn't have the detector? He doesn't have to show me that he actually clocked me; just that the gun is calibrated. Then, if he had ticketed me, it would have been my word against his.

I know that the fine men and women of our law enforcement are just doing their jobs. But this can get really annoying.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ahhh, the wonderful idealism of yutes...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Excuse me, the youths.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I think cops have to let you see the radar if you ask. The two times I've gotten speeding tickets, both cops asked me if I wanted to see the radar.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

John, I honestly don't know the law on that here in the Peach State. I wish there was someplace that list comprehensive driving laws for the state.

And slappy, I'm certainly not a yute, nor idealistic.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As someone who has gotten a good number of tickets in Georgia, I can tell you that if you ask, they have to show you the radar. Its never done me any good because I was usually speeding.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but it gave me a chance to use the yute word...

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I had to look it up.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never tap your brakes in front of a cop. Either downshift or hit the pause button on your cruise control.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure they don't have to let you see it.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I disagree. They already know you were speeding. Hitting the brakes doesn't alert them to anything they weren't aware of already.

Hitting the brakes is actually a sign that you recognize there's a cop there and you're dutifully slowing down. If you just start coasting, and don't slow down much, they often take it to mean that you've seen them and don't give a shit. That's when they pull you over and bust your balls.

At least that's what a couple of my friends in the law enforcement community have told me. And, so far, it's worked pretty well. [/knocking on wood]

12. KP

KP Active Member

Even if they show you a reading, what's to say it was from your car and not some yahoo who went through 15 min before?

Draft saved Draft deleted