1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate TV weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

50 miles away might be in their viewing area. Just because they aren't in your area doesn't mean they aren't important break-ins for viewers in the tv stations area.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll admit to being a weather nerd — comes from growing up in Tornado Alley. Stuff like Katrina, Andrew, the Xenia Outbreak, etc. all holds a morbid fascination for me. Sometimes the Weather Channel takes a dog's age to get to your region or spends an inordinately long time on some weather event in another part of the country, so local TV weather is quite important. If it bumps regular programming for a bit, better that than having people miss something that could save their lives.

The hyperbole from the TV haters is a bit much. That said, spup, your attitude hardly does your people any favors.

As an Air Force captain once told me, "weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers."

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

just a question, but isn't the likelihood more that your power's going to be out if there is severe weather moving through and you aren't watching TV?

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Or it will be out soon enough if the storm's big enough. AM radio and a weather police scanner are the way to go.

5. I've always been fascinated with the Mine-Is-Bigger-Than-Yours mindset of local TV news and weather.

First there was Doppler. Then another station would promote its "Super-Doppler." A third station would drag out its "Genesis Triple Doppler." Now the NBC stations have something called VIPIR.

Do people even give a damn?

I know I don't. I don't watch the weather. I just keep a raincoat in my car in case it rains.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

This gem from an effeminate CNN anchor this morning...
    Wicked storms that pounded the Midwest are headed east.
    Find out if you'll be in the line of fire.

I hate cable news.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The hyperbole is from TV stations.

Last year a minor tropical storm brewed in South Florida. Tropical Storm Ernesto.

For 2 days it was wall-to-wall Ernesto on TV. It's out there. It's threatening. How bad will it get? Where will it go? What will it do?

So how bad was the storm?

So bad that I played tennis the morning it arrived.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since I'm surprised nobody's said TTIWOP, I'll assist..
    [​IMG]

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those living in the parts of the country where tornadoes are a constant threat with severe weather, I'm sure the break-ins with updates on where the tornadoes are, are very useful and save lives.

What I can't stand about the "local weather" is here in the northeast when stations will lead their 11 p.m. (or 10 p.m.) local newscast with "severe snowstorm hitting area" or "severe snowstorm forecast for tomorrow" and spend 10 minutes showing the salt trucks getting loaded, crowded stores because people are stockpiling food for armageddon when the roads will be clear by the next afternoon, the weather forecast showing where it's going to be 6-8 inches, where its going to be 4-6, 8-10, etc.
    Then the next morning they pre-empt all of their shows with the news showing you streets being plowed, which major roads still have snow, where the snow has been heaviest, where its slushy, etc. It's overkill. It snowed, the roads are going to be bad. Stay home. Or if you must go out, be careful. It's not that difficult a concept.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That isn't the part he watches, btw. :)

If they ever put Jackie and Lauren Sanchez on the same station, it'll have to be after the family hour.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The local CBS affiliate is leading their noon news with -- OH SHI TEAM COVERAGE OF SCATTERED SHOWERS!!!!!!!!1

Now we're having bad drought conditions, so rain is a fair reason to get excited. But they're forecasting a tenth of an inch here. And they just kicked it to an on-site reporter for this drizzle significant weather event.

They should send someone down to the river to make sure it's not busting out of its banks.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And because you CANNOT have a weather thread without:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted