1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate TV weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Where I am, the local stations can do the forecast for today, tonight and the seven-day in the, what, 30-second window they get during the Today/GMA/Early Show forecast? When I watch the local news, I generally want the basics -- a MegaDoppler11 precipitation forecast that takes 45 seconds doesn't tell me anything that "60 percent chance of rain Friday afternoon" doesn't.

And I'm an unrepentant Weather Channel junkie. For God's sakes, I watch Abrams and What's His Name.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

But you're too mad at the tv station for breaking in to care if it's actually going to hit your house because they're probably tell you right now where that tornado is going to hit...if you're watching.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I enjoy Abrams and Bettes as well, but only for Abrams.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Once I was in a bar when a siren went off. Girl asked me what it was, and I said it was a tornado siren. She asked if there was a tornado sighting, and I said yeah, in my pants.

Okay, fine, we don't have tornado sirens.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think most of us have branched off from the original post and are now talking about day-to-day weather forecasts. Not emergency broadcasts.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the weather on the local TV news, other than at the one station the meterologist has grown such a big gut the station had the change its weather maps.

And I do appreciate the emergency broadcasts.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't call to say that. But yes, I want my fucking TV show back. If there's a warning, watch, whatever, break in and tell me. But don't give me street-by-street, blow-by-blow details of shit that's happening 50 miles from me. The local weather people at one station are major douche bags. The guy will come on for about 30 seconds at the top of the newscast and tease you with what's happening but he doesn't tell you squat. I'm sorry, but an hour (or more) straight of weather is overkill. Especially when one of the idiots says "If you're outside or in a church take cover." (They really do that here.) Who the fuck watches TV outside or in church?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now sometimes the local TV stations take unfair advantage of breaking in to basically do a weather filibuster. A few years ago we got hit with a line of pretty nasty thunderstorms, and they broke in and showed the radar and where they were moving, and that was fair. But they stayed with it for well more than an hour, even as the storms went to the very fringes of the viewing area (like they MIGHT have 500 viewers there). And they had clearly run out of things to say. While watching a strong thunderstorm about to cross the border between states, one of the weathercasters was going on about how Southampton County bordered to the north of Northampton County and how wacky that was. They could have gone back to Judge Judy well before that point.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And what are the churches made of where you are, cotton balls?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What the fuck did I do to you?

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think so, too, IJAG, and I'm afraid I'm one of those responsible for steering this train off the tracks. I have absolutely no qualms with breaking in for severe weather updates. That shit is serious, and it trumps prime-time TV every time.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Right, but we've gone to how much we don't like local forecasts. No one's really bitching about break-ins except for TwoGloves.

Draft saved Draft deleted