1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate TV weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 18, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Weather Channel ... Internet ... who waits for the local TV "storm team" to get the weather forecast, anyway?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think he means high temp, low temp, precipitation.

THAT'S what matters. You don't have to tell them WHY the temps will be high or WHY it will rain. Just will it.

Period.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Again, if you want that, you don't want a meteorologist. You want what we call a weather person and they're generally horrible at their jobs.

And I stand by my point, do sports writers tell the score of a game without any notes of how the score got that way? I don't think so.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Whoa! I was just messing around. I rarely watch the local news because it hardly covers my market anyway, but I grew up on a farm, so yeah, we watched the weather religiously at my house. And I sure as hell don't watch the local news for sports scores.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I want someone to tell me if (and if so, when, please) it will rain today and how hot or cold it will be -- and to not call me an asshole when I say I don't need to know more than that.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Guys, I tried to calm her down. It ain't happening.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If we have to do a four-inch short, we do. And Jesus, no one's attacking you personally or your station.

Here, time this:

"The clouds parted today, and the result was a clear day with a high of 78 and a low of 60. A cold front moving through will drop temperatures tomorrow, with the high around 72 and the low in the mid-50s. No real chance of rain until the weekend, though, so get out and enjoy it while you can."

The end. THAT'S what people tune in to see, whether you want to admit it or not. People get on weather.com and look at the weekend forecast. They get the high, the low and the precipitation. THAT'S IT.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good point.

My answer:

Sports in a major metro is 10-16 pages.

Weather is one page.

On TV, weather gets more time than sports.

That's batshit insane. Always has been.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If weather is so important, why doesn't it go at the end of the newscast so people will watch to the end?

I happen to enjoy the weathercast, but sometimes it's ridiculous how they blow up some events, especially snow. At 6:00 it's "SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!", then we get the 10:00 backdown.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It doesn't get more time than sports, in fact, sports gets anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes more than weather. Also, it does go at the end of the newscast. There is a first look for people who don't have time to watch the entire show, there is a main weathercast and any decent station will have a final look at weather that is anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds at the end of the show.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

People, when the sirens go off, as they did here this evening, then local weather preempts everything else. Period. People want to know where the storm is, how fast it's moving, where it's headed, all that stuff. Like it or not, local news is the best provider of that information since, well... they only care about that particular area.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sports can be reduced to a half-page of agate, too. Some people are interested in more than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted